Gillette blue tip.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jbrew, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

I am relatively new to wet shaving with safety razors. Been shaving with the parker 24c open comb and love it. I recently aquired a gillette blue tip TTO. Think I paid around 20 dollars for it. I was really surprised how awesome this razor is. I threw a feather blade in it and took it for a test drive. Very comfortable and I was immediately able to find the proper angle. Needless to say I had a great shave.
    I am addicted to wet shaving. I also bought a gillette fat boy adjustable that I am sending out to razor emporium for a tune up and a flair tip that I am anxiously waiting for. And I thought I was going to save money by getting into wet shaving

Redrock, 178-bplatoon, Jim99 and 8 others like this.
  2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Haha not a chance. But it is a great ride. Enjoy it.

Redrock, Jim99, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zwelcome.jpg
    Good for you. The blue tip is on my short list of razors to get next year. Enjoy the ride.

Redrock, Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My son picked up a blue tip super speed that he recently gave to me. It's a great razor and will give you a DFS every time. It's smooth and comfortable. No BBS shaves, but DFS and a favorite of mine for sure. Wait till you try some of the other vintage Gillette razors. You're going to love this hobby. So much for saving money!

Redrock, Robyflexx and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Yeah it's like Crack..... need my next fix! Really looking forward to trying the fat boy adjustable after its tune up. I got a great deal on both of these razors.

RyX, Redrock, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  6. Jcan88

Jcan88 Member

Blue tips are underrated. Great razor with a sharp blade or good "beginner's" razor with a middle of the road blade.

So here is my rationalization...

Whenever I tire of this hobby (even if it is tomorrow) I will never have to purchase shaving supplies ever again (nor will my children or their children), so I am calling all my acquisition disorders investments!

Redrock, 178-bplatoon, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  7. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Yeah that's part of my rationale as well. 2 months in and I've got enough supplies for at least 2 years. So when I hit 1 year I will probably have enough to last me lifetime........ and maybe my future kids.

8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Blue tips are great for softer "blue beards" but when the blues go gray it will be red tips you be calling. :kar:

Redrock, PLANofMAN, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  9. 24Fanatic365

24Fanatic365 Active Member

I've always been amazed at the quality shaves I get from my Blue Tip. When I first got it, I didn't thing BBS would be possible with it. Of course, I was wrong...

Redrock and Jim99 like this.
  10. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

20 bucks for a blue tip is a steal. The prices have really inflated lately and blue's are very sought after. :happy088:

11. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Yeah,
    We all thought we'd be saving money but then the AD's kicked with 20 razors, 10 brushes, 2 dozen soaps & creams, 600 plus blades and 15 or so aftershaves and balms. Yeah, I saved a ton! And you know what, I'm nowhere near the worst with this vice errr hobby............... LOL

Redrock, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Yeah I've seen some shave dens online. Pretty crazy. I will most likely get there considering I've already bought 7 vintage gillettes.

13. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

7 razors in 10 days as a TSD member (welcome by the way) you got it bad.............. But he who lives in glass houses should not throw stones says the owner of 20 or so vintage razors. Personally, I love vintage razors and part of the enjoyment I derive from wet shaving is searching for them. One word of advice is to be patient, a nice one will come along in the price range you want to pay....... Enjoy!

RyX, Redrock, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Thanks for the welcome. And yeah I love looking for vintage razors. It's a cool hobby as well because you get to use an antique that does a better job than the plastic crap that is currently being marketed.

Redrock, Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  15. Robyflexx

They also have history. Think of how many people it provided great shaves for. Decades of faithful service. :)

Redrock, Jim99 and Spud like this.
  16. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a good point. I often wonder who's hands these razors have been in. Very cool. Strange to say but wet shaving makes me feel more manly. Nothing like an all metal safety razor, it just feels right.

Redrock, PLANofMAN, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Absolutely! Manly is one of it's many attractions. Something very cool about wielding sharp objects to shave your face or head. :happy088:

18. Jbrew

Jbrew Well-Known Member

Oh the beard is grey already. I think the feather blade really helped with slicing through this wirey beard. I've since picked up a flair tip and a red tip is on the way.

Redrock, Jim99, GatorJoe and 2 others like this.
  19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Normal (LazyLens 20160131 084241 normal).jpg Just reading through this thread; I just purchased a blue tip about a week ago. I have a relatively coarse beard, so it takes a fair amount of work and passes to get the smooth shave that I'm after. But I call this my "shadow shaver" for times that I need a second shave, like when going out in the evening. For times when a single atg pass will get you back where you were 8-12 hours earlier. A really cool looking razor, and almost impossible to cut yourself with.

20. Robyflexx

That is one fine looking blue tip @Spyder! :happy088:

Redrock, Jim99 and Spyder like this.