Gillette E1 Flare Tip with Open Tooth Design? What IS this?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tishcal, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Tishcal

Tishcal New Member

I am driving myself crazy trying to identify this razor. Any ideas? I have researched Gillette razors that were marked E (1959) and all of the types I see listed don't look like this. Am I missing something? 101_0819.JPG

vwp528, Weeper Warrior and JRod22 like this.
  2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

If it says Gillette under the bottom is has to be some kind of prototype. Never seen a Super Speed with a comb bar. You got anymore picture?

3. Tishcal

Tishcal New Member

Here's some more shots. Glad to know I am not crazy! Have spent hours trying to research this! 101_0822.JPG 101_0821.JPG 101_0820.JPG

vwp528 likes this.
  4. Weeper Warrior

Wow....that is a one of a kind! The diamond on the base plate has the "O" marking like a Blue Tip. That makes me think it may have been a possible addition to the Super Speed line along with the Regular, Blue Tip, and Red Tip. That is just me guessing and day dreaming of course!

It had to have came from Gillette that way because you could not modify a standard Super Speed to look like that.

How does it shave?

5. Tishcal

Tishcal New Member

Haven't tried it yet. Too busy admiring it and trying to figure out what it is!

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Well I'd have to say if anyone could help ID that razor, it'd be @IAmTheJody , so we'll see if that tag brings him in here to have a look.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Wow. Have to say I've never seen such. I'd go to someone even more knowledgeable than I. Like @Jake or @mr-razor . If it's not a prototype, someone that's very good with machining has tinkered with the guard bars.

Dridecker likes this.
  8. Weeper Warrior

I thought it might be a mod too, at first. After looking at my SS, there is no way with the cut outs on a regular it would make it impossible. To Mod it that way you would have make your own base plate with no cut outs, then scroll the Gillette logo, date code and made in USA. Not saying somebody didn't do that. If they did they were a bit of a nutter!:)

9. Weeper Warrior

@Tishcal

Anyway you might take a picture of the inside of the head? I'm just curious!

10. Tishcal

Tishcal New Member

vwp528 likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Definitely not a mod. The slightly irregular design to the cutouts appear stamped, then the head was formed.

Wonderful razor. Were that head on the body of a Ranger Tech or late '40s S.S., it would be perhaps the coolest I've ever seen. But as it, it's close!

12. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

That's a great find! Hopefully someone here can give you some info.

13. Weeper Warrior

@alex2363 Might could help as well.

14. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I sure hope you get information on it. Have you tried Mr.Razor?

15. Tishcal

Tishcal New Member

Yes. I emailed and sent pics. No reply yet. Still trying to do research online about prototypes. Can't seem to find a lot of info - especially when I don't even know what to call it!
    Thanks for all your help! It is so exciting to find this gem! Now the big decision is whether to keep it or not.

16. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

There is someone here that keeps coming to mind, but I can't think of their name to save my life.

17. Tishcal

Tishcal New Member

101_0855 copy.jpg Heard back from Mr. Razor. He said he had seen this razor some years ago, but doesn't own one. He said it´s a 1959 Test Type. Sending him pics for his site! Here is one showing the E1.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  18. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I'm anxiously following this thread to see how it shaves.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This looks like a prototype by Gillette to use a closed comb TTO razor for the Super Speed series. Maybe this was slated to replace the Red Tip Super Speed. Given that the medium level Super Speed is a somewhat mild razor, there may have not been enough of a difference in aggressiveness to supplant the Red Tip Super Speed, which was a heavier weighted (more costly to produce) unit. Another thought is, since around the same time Gillette came out with the Fat Boy, the need for different Super Speeds was no longer a requirement. Maybe this was Gillette's attempt to only make one Super Speed that would provide some differences from the prior versions to maintain interest in new razors. We know this was a dead end because Gillette continued on with the same head configuration for the Super Speeds long after 1959.

You have an excellent prototype. Enjoy it!

20. blk05crew

blk05crew Well-Known Member

Very cool piece!