Gillette is back!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Mar 23, 2016.

1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thank you for bringing us the information, and following up with Chris at AoS. This could lead to a revamp of the product line?

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and Morman Bridge like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If I remember correctly the pre-war techs were all brass, and starting in the 50's they switched to a Zamak top cap.

chrisbd and AGHisBBS like this.
  3. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I believe so. He said if the release goes well, there are plans to re release more models. Including the possibility of a Fatboy.

4. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

I am only mildly interested because I currently shave with three different Techs from three different decades and two Super Speeds from different decades and two different Gillette Adjustable razors. If it does happen, I doubt the new DEs will be better.

Dave

chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I would love to have a "New" Gillette New OC and I also wouldn't mind having a Slim that didn't look like a POS! :)

chrisbd, ninjack, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Makes me wonder, though, how it might affect the pricing of true vintage models.

7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Let's not forget the main objective of any business is to make money. Its not about serving the whims and desires of those of us in a small wet shaving community. If Gillette thinks they can make money by a reissue of a Tech...then we will likely see this come to fruition. However, they will have to compete with a plethora of other DE razor makers...many of whom produce a fine product at a reasonable cost. From a marketing point of view they will have the Gillette name to play on, but it will still have to be a quality product to get those of us with an interest to put our money on the table.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

upload_2016-3-24_11-34-10.jpeg

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and PLANofMAN like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If they're not all brass, I don't see that they should.

chrisbd likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Okay, that was probably a bad example. It just popped into my head because 25 years ago when I was in college, I worked at a Pizza Hut, and other than we both sold Pepsi products, the two seperate companies had nothing to with each other in any way shape or form. It would even go against my argument, except that I will stand by my premise that just because a giant corporation owns multiple companies does not mean they have anything to with each other in the least. If AOS was a subsidiary of Gillette, it would be a different story. (At least in terms of my point.)

I guess what I was trying to say, is that too many times to count I have read posts where people say that Gillette owns AOS, and that is not the case.

Anyway, sorry for the bad analogy.

chrisbd, Jorvaljr and Robyflexx like this.
  11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I don't think it would. Overpriced modernTechs shouldn't cause the price of vintage techs to go up, and I can't see them selling a Fatboy for less than $100, so that wouldn't affect vintage prices on those either.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Proctor & Gamble owns both Gillette and Art of Shaving.

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's all good. I thought it was funny.
    I just want Gillette to mass produce the Bottom Dials, Red Dots, Double Rings, and Toggles, so I can finally get one.

Tralfaz, chrisbd, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  14. Morman Bridge

+1

chrisbd likes this.
  15. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

I just chatted with the AoS representative from the Mall of America. They said the Gillette Tech will be produced and released for retail sale in November 2016. They said the price point has not been disclosed yet. Also, based on how the sales of the Tech go, the next razor to be released will be the Fatboy. Just thought I would let everyone know what I found out. Take it for what it's worth I guess.

chrisbd, Spyder, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  16. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Nah, still have to see it to believe it, but seems to have paper trail to give it better than 50/50 chance....

chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Morman Bridge

The fellow I talked to said there was already production material in his store that had a date of May on it. He also did mention the Fatboy as a future model.

18. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

Perhaps the rep I talked to was misinformed, or just didn't know. Just passing along what was told.

19. Morman Bridge

Here is a twist , this email arrived this morning from AOS-

Hello Alan,

It's terrific to hear that you are connoisseur of the finer things in life and an admirer of the new Gillette Double Edge Razor. We hope you’ll appreciate that there are times when one has to play their cards close to the chest when it comes to rumored releases. We promise to share any news with The Art of Shaving’s Brotherhood as soon as new products are available - In the meantime, we encourage you to consider The Art of Shaving’s safety razor’s. Our safety razor’s are beautifully designed, handily weighted and destined to be legends themselves.

Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with at this time.

Regards,
    Customer Service
    The Art of Shaving

youngunn, chrisbd, macaronus and 3 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I know that, but Gillette does not own AOS, is all I am trying to say.

chrisbd, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.