Gillette Slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jim99, May 3, 2015.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

i just purchased a Gillette Slim and used it for the first time yesterday. I set it at 3, dropped in a Gillette Silver Blue and got one of the best DE shaves ever. Just 2 small nicks. This morning's shave was even better. It maybe qualifies as BBS. I know it's only two shaves, but I think I like it better than my Merkur 34c and Edwin Jagger DE89.

I was thinking that I wanted a fatboy. Maybe not. Is a Slim equal to or better than a fatboy? I know, YMMV.

Herm2502, spacehobo, Slow Joe and 4 others like this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

They are different and whether one is better than the other is based on user preference. The Fat Boy was made before the Slim. Each razor uses primarily the same adjustment mechanism, but the Fat Boy (195 to be exact) has a larger more curved head (silo doors) than tends to make it a more aggressive razor than the Slim with the flatter head (silo doors). The Slim is a little more maneuverable than the Fat Boy based on the ability of the Slimmer head and handle. So it is more user preference than any absolute statement of one is better than the other.

3. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

I just got one too. Today was my second shave. Was using Pol-Silvers, also a first, and got 2 excellent BBS shaves. Set it the first day on a 4 and today on a 5. Both blade and razor are really smooth.
    I'm more of a 3 Piece razor kind of shaver. But the Slim does have a more shaver friendly head. Most TTO's do not shave me good. This shaves more like the 40's style SS. YMMV
    I'd like to try a fat boy to see the difference. :)

NCoxSTL and wristwatchb like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If you have a good Slim, you really don't need to get a Fatboy. However, you may still want to have one. Congratulations.
    slim_fatboy02.jpg slim_fatboy01.jpg

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

A few guys (myself included) respect the FB but find it a tad too heavy and unweildy, if that might be a concern.

spacehobo likes this.
  6. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

Great pic

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Well, I had no problem with maneuverability and I like the weight. As far as getting into tight spots like under the nose, no problems with the slim. I can't believe that a 53 year old razor shaves so good.

I still would like to buy a fatboy if I can find one in good condition and at a low price. And maybe a super speed and a krona and a...

Man, this hobby is addictive.

jakie55, Hodge, NCoxSTL and 2 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Be patient and keep looking. Hopefully, you will find an ugly one somewhere for next to nothing that will shine up great. Unless you are filthy rich, then just go out and get whatever you want. "Money don't spend itself."

9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I love my Slim!! You will too!! Just try shaves increasing from 3-9 and see which setting is best for you. Some folks changes settings between passes. I like mine set on "6" most days, with the occasional bump to "8".

Enjoy!

spacehobo likes this.
  10. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I have both and some others and I like the slim more than the fat boy. It just seems to provide a nicer shave. But they are both 9.5 and 9.0 out of 10.
    You can't go wrong either way. My super speed is also quite nice as is the Lady Gillette.

spacehobo likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Remember to loosen the doors before changing the setting. Also, there is a quarter turn to tighten the doors after they are closed.

Bobcat likes this.
  12. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I like them both. I prefer the fatboys larger handle. I don't think either one is better, different yes.

Herm2502 and spacehobo like this.
  13. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

After getting a Gillette Slim Adjustable, as well as several other vintage Gillette razors, I disposed of my Muhle/Merkur/EJ/Parker razors. For me, the Gillettes are best razors going.

Ed

IDuck, spacehobo and DEfettish like this.
  14. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Actually Capt. Murphy over on B & B says that there is no harm in adjusting with the doors closed The door and the base plate don't function together.

spacehobo, Jayaruh and Omaney like this.
  15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Truth.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I really like my Slim and prefer it over my Fatboy.

spacehobo likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I will have to check that out. Thanks.

18. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

He mentioned it during his YouTube video on the dis assembly of the Fatboy.

Jayaruh and Darkbulb like this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It would make sense as they also always adjust the razors with the doors closed in the TV commercials of the time.

Jayaruh likes this.
  20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Yep. Anyone who's taken a Slim/Fatboy apart knows that's one of them urban old wives tale type of things. Too much effort to try to correct it. More futile than being a grammar/spelling nazi.