Gillette Super Adjustable TTO Mechanism Jammed.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by boyextraordinare, Mar 31, 2009.

1. boyextraordinare

boyextraordinare New Member

Thanks to djwurm, I received this gorgeous Black Beauty in the mail today.

I'm having a major problem with it, however.

It arrived in the mail in excellent, operative order. I polished it up then loaded it with a blade and shaved, getting great results.

But now the TTO mechanism is now jammed. Won't open a tinge.

What's the deal? Fortunately it was a fresh Keramik and it will last me a long time, but cmon! :happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102

Attached Files:

2. Will

Will Nevermind

Boil it.

Not kidding, there may be some gunk in it and the boiling water should knock it out.

Or a vinegar soak.

3. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

By any chance.... did you change the adjustment while the bay doors were closed?

4. boyextraordinare

Yes - a lot.

:(

5. boyextraordinare

I'd try boiling it but wouldn't that ruin the plastic?

I'm so disappointed...

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Try lowering the adjustment back down to 1 and see if that helps you open the TTO. In general, we adjust with the silo doors open just in case the blade tension manages to lock up the razor.

Not all the Super adjustable razors have plastic parts. The black on the handle is enamel type paint. However, some of them have a plastic base plate. Looking at your picture, it doesn't look like it does, but check first before boiling.

Other options that may help.

Let is soak overnight in mineral oil.

Get some Goop or other waterless hand cleaner solvent that mechanics use to remove grease. Work that into the razor. I would normally do this without a blade in the razor, so I would wait until after the blade is out to try this. Let the Goop work at any crud in the razor and then wash thoroughly.

7. boyextraordinare

Thanks for the tips, Justin.

Lowering to 1 and working it open from there makes sense, for every time I dial up the blade tension increases in accord.

Someone else mentioned a MO soak. I'll try that.

Boiling will be last resort.

I wish I'd known about this previously! Do Merkur adjustables allow you to adjust while the silo doors are shut?

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

The only Merkur adjustable with silo doors is the Vision, and I have no experience with that. I know some people adjust their razors while shut, but I just prefer to avoid the extra wear that is sure to happen with the pressure.

9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Honestly, your problem may have nothing to do with adjusting with the doors closed. The actual instructions on the Gillette adjustables don't say that you have to open the silo doors before making the adjustments. In fact some of the instructions show the adjustments being made while the doors are closed.

The idea of not adjusting while the doors are closed is a collective wisdom when dealing with these vintage razors. I don't know how many if any of these were actually damaged from adjusting with blade locked; however, it is one of those tidbits of info that are tossed about the forums. I do know that I have had some that were in poor shape and the TTO mechanism was touchy about adjustments. We need to get the Mythbusters in here to see if there is actually anything to the adjusting when doors closed statement.

10. boyextraordinare

Well, I shaved with it again today - at 3 and 4, and loved the damn thing!

What a razor.

I've an Astra Keramik locked in there so it'll be good for a few a while.

Neverthless, I do want the problem resolved.

MO soak tonight...

II.

Are all vintage TTOs prone to door jams, or is the problem more confined to adjustables?

11. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

To a degree they can all have the problem. Adjustables have more moving parts in the same area so are more likely to have problems. TTOs basically screwing or unscrewing a threaded knob on a long threaded rod which is connected to a lever to open/close the doors. If the rod or lever action gets bent or if crud messes up the threads, the mechanism gets stuck. What I see more often is the doors not closing properly and that is usually due to the baseplate/safety guard being bent out of shape to some degree and pulling the lever out of alignment.

12. boyextraordinare

My first vintage razor, it'll also likely be my last.

I've a excellent set of new razors. I got this in a trade for a shavette of which I've several - so if it doesn't unjam, o well.

But I really hope it does! and it will!

13. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I've had only one problem with a vintage razor, ever. It was actually a super adjustable. The base plate was bent and I just didnt notice when I bought it. Amazing razor though. I have another one now (thanks to Rodd). One that I'll never get rid of.

Ohh. yeah. And mineral oil soak is what I'd do. I dont trust that black handle for boiling. Turn everything before you rinse off the mineral oil to it'll seep in. Than twist until it opens. Remember, lefty loosey.

14. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I don't think any razor is particularly prone to that problem. I have yet to have a problem with it. I have had a couple adjustables that don't adjust though.

15. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

And, of course, its corollary: Loosey Goosey.