Gillette Tech Ball End question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LordKyleOfEarth, Apr 13, 2011.

1. LordKyleOfEarth

LordKyleOfEarth New Member

Is there any way to get a closer guess at the age of one of these razors? I was hoping for something closer than the 1946-51 range that the wiki offers.

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Techs came out in 1938 and were made into the 1970's in the U.S.; however, they didn't start using date codes until 1951. Unless you had to original case or the original blades that came with the razor, it would be very difficult to narrow down a year any further.

The ball end techs were made before 1946 despite a wiki you might find on another website. However, most of those were the black painted contract techs that had 4 long groves down the knurling of the handle.

3. LordKyleOfEarth

That's sort of what I figured. Thanks any way.

4. LordKyleOfEarth

I just up loaded some pictures of my razor. I realize it won't aid in identification, but I figured I'd share any way.

[​IMG]

How many years of use do you think it took to wear the Gillette logo down so much?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only information I have on it (aside from what my Mom knew about it, which was basically nothing.)
    [​IMG]

It cleaned up really well except for this one spot. I'm not sure what the build up is. It's reddish and flaked off (like lime or calcium) when I scrubbed it off from the grooves around the end. Some more came off when I soaked the handle in hydrogen peroxide over night, but it left a greenish residue (looked like oxidation, came off with toothpaste and a light brushing).
    [​IMG]

brit likes this.
  5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    It's hard to tell the exact condition from the pictures, but the logo on those razors is kind of a light etching.

It doesn't look that worn down in your picture.

6. mr-razor

mr-razor Well-Known Member

what says the backside of your base plate:
    "PAT.NOS.ON.PACKAGE" (1946-1949)
    or "PAT.NO.ON PKG." (1950)

brit and Enrico like this.
  7. LordKyleOfEarth

Awesome, thank you for that information. Looks like I have an earlier modle, so I'm pretty sure he got the razor at the end of the war.

Enrico likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Cool! Ain't this place great? :happy088

gorgo2, Jim99 and brit like this.
  9. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I vaguely recall that the Gillette etching you see was only used during a particular time frame. However, I have not been able to locate that tidbit of information to verify.

10. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

I just added a 1946/49 to my beautiful collection (21), yesterday! I was up at 6:30 this morn to sanitize & Clean it...SURE, I'm gonna shave with it, TODAY! It's a "Golden Beauty!" Don't-cha-just love it? "Many Happy Shaves of the Days, to ya, lordKyleofEarth!":happy093:

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

He hasn't been seen in over 4 years.

12. Fred Hill

Well, "Shivver-Me-Timbers," swarden43! "Maybe-Twas the Razor, whut 'Did-Him-In?'" :ban:

13. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I have a 46/50 Gold Tech ball end and 46/50 Fat Handle Tech and neither one of the them has the etching on the top. Any ideas on when the etching apppeared or disappeared? Were the etchings on both the gold and nickel?

Greg W.

14. Fred Hill

I saw this site, which has pictures of "Re-Finished" Gillette Ball Razors; & their dates. They show some from the 1930's which have no Name, or Etchings on them. Don't know if this helps, in any way; nevertheless... ?
    http://www.sportshaving.com/razors.html

rbilly likes this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Great Forum
    I just joined yesterday and found out what year my Gillette Ball end might be. 46/50. This was my Dads. He uses an electric now.:prrr:
    I also have his bowl and brush House of Fuller. (pictured in my Avitar.) I am going to load a blade and give a whirl tonight.

16. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

It is great to have an heirloom razor from ones father. After being an avid traditional wet shaver for a few years, my dads old 1952 Black Tip Super Speed was recovered. He had been dead over 10 years, and I never thought I would have one of his razors. My brother found it while cleaning out our old family cabin in South Dakota. It was a razor my dad had bought upon his return from the Korean War. He kept it at our cabin. There it sat for many years til recently. Mo am proud to own it now. Cheers to the OP and all others who have recovered their fathers razors!

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have one of my Dad's old Schicks, but I would really like to have his Tuckaway. He died in 95 and I was still using carts back then and didn't think to ask.

18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Can only speak for mine, I have a Z-4 (54) gold
    tech ball end and the logo is on the head.

19. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I've got a gold-colored Ball End Tech with the diamond-and-arrow Gillette logo on the cap. I shaved with it last night and although it gave me a great, close shave, my facial shadow came in today much earlier than it normally does. I like it as a mild shaver, giving me no irritation from using my PolSilver Stainless Steel blade on its final outing before changing it for the Super Iridium (part of my sampler pack). But if I want a shave that lasts a bit longer, I think I prefer my Merkur 34c or my Gillette Fatboy on a higher setting (3-4).

Jim99 likes this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

so far i have seen the diamond gillette on the cap ( no frosting) on gold and nickel 46-50 techs ,canadian and british, brit coronation sets(mr razor) and brit sportsman techs on english sights.my canadian 51 up tech has a diamond gillette with a frosted surround on the cap .