Gold Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Razor's Edge, May 14, 2010.

1. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge New Member

I have a question relating to gold plated razors. In particular with the Gillette British Aristocrats, is the gold plating really that delicate and prone to rub-off as I read in some threads on here, or is it possible to use as a daily razor and with proper maintenance be able to keep it intact for a considerable span of time?

Thanks

2. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge New Member

Does anyone have personal experience or know first hand from another person about this possible issue with gold plated razors?

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Now you're in a quandary! You've read in some threads here the gold plating is prone to rubbing off. Now you want to read here from someone who says it isn't prone to rubbing off. Who will you choose to believe?

Just asking. I do hope you find a way to keep the gold looking great.

4. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

I'll venture to guess that there aren't many of us shaving daily with gold plated British Aristocrats. Still, if you do a bit of reading about gold plating, you'll find that there are many, many different varieties. I wouldn't even hope to pretend to have a definitive answer to your question.

The gold plating on razors that I own hasn't worn noticeably in a couple of years. I have an undefined rotation and not one gold-plated British Gillette Aristocrat. :D

5. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge New Member

Yea I guess your right swarden43, HA!

But in my research on this forum, I could not really find anyone to combat this notion with possible maintenance techniques to keep the gold intact. I guess what I was really asking was if there are proven techniques?

6. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge New Member

TomPike, do you do any maintenance techniques to keep your gold razor looking good?

7. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I have 3 different gold razors, all of them old and not one of them an Aristocrat. I use them in my undefined rotation as well and haven't seen any wear since I began which has been about 5 months for 1 of them and then about 3 for the other and 2 for the last one. Mine were all bought with the intent of shaving with them regardless with the knowledge that they may wear. In that event, I'll just get them replated. There was a thread running around here somewhere speaking directly to that point. ~$20ish to perform and a beauty to behold when done.

8. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge New Member

So battlemunky, I am thinking of getting a gold Aristocrat to use possibly as my daily razor, so should I just go ahead and get one that is mechanically mint but may need re-plating, because it seems in the long run you cant get away from the plate rubbing-off? Then just have someone re-plate it in a more durable thicker plate of 18K?

Because I was figuring I would try to buy a mint gold Aristocrat and just try to best maintain the plating.

9. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I have an idea. Get two Aristocrats. One in shaving condition to be used as your workhorse. The other for display.

10. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge New Member

I was also figuring it would end up like that....at my wallet's dismay..... ;)

11. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah! Like +1,000,000,000.00 on that!

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I would get one and just not let your feelings get hurt if it gets worn and when your hand/face starts smelling like brass/copper, get it replated. You can get a local person or send it out. It is very doable.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You have to decide... are you a collector or user? Both? Me, I'm a bit of both in that I use what I've collected. I'm not looking for display models. "Pretty" doesn't shave, but I'll admit, it sure looks nice! As long as there are no major dings, dents or scratches, and everything is mechanically sound, I'll buy it and use it. Most of the razors I've purchased don't even have a case (by the way, you can't shave with the case, anyway :rolleyes:). Hey, it works for me and that's the way I like it, uhhu, uhhu.

Decided yet? ;)

Have fun!

14. Razor's Edge

Razor's Edge New Member

Yea I am figuring I will just get a mint Aristocrat then use it and try to maintain it the best I can, until it gets worn-out then do what battlemunky said and get it re-plated, however, the Coronation Set I also want is a different story :D

15. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Just got one of the three piece Gillettes with the little ball on the end that is in great condition and I intend to shave with it. The top plate has some little bubbles on the top and underneath. The rest of the razor is almost mint. Anyone have any thoughts on the bubles; it does not seem to be a problem with the base metal. Also, what would it cost to replate?:confused:

16. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Bubble to me indicate that the coating is starting to lift . Just like when you see chrome start to bubble on a car.
    I've never priced out getting a razor replated, but Bob, in post #7 seemed to indicate it runs around $20 ish. He may have more info for you.

17. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I don't know if it was an aristocrat or not, but at one time, I had a three piece gold plated Gillette Tech where the top part of the razor's plating rubbed off and turned into a copper hue. I believe that it was my fault because I used polish on it, and read later on that you have to be careful about polishing plated razors, not using harsh chemicals or boiling it etc... One dealer on ebay was saying that a little patina on a razor is not only acceptable, but desirable. I myself am not of that school of thought when it comes to razors, I like them as shiny as new if possible. The way that I solved my problem was to collect a type of old double-edged razor that didn't rub off due to polishing it, or be really careful on sections of the razor where you think plating exists. Maybe you could get it re-plated from a jeweler or antique dealer that knows someone, but then you are going to spend a little bit of dough for that, if that is even possible. Sorry if this doesn't help any.

18. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I can't speak for dealers on the bay,,but I kinda think that if I ever get to the point of selling a piece I'll sell the ones with the patina,,as a collector I want the ones that are perfect. It depends what side of the table you're standing on.
    I have had experience with a variety of things plated that it doesn't take much to make it disappear very quickly. Copper showing through means the plate is gone. On some razors the gold actually turns to an orange hue from the copper actually bleeding through over time. I didn't think this was possible until I researched the phenomenon.
    Sometimes I think less is better with regards to cleaning/polishing/restoring these pieces. Trying to make it look like new can quickly remove chrome, gold or whatever plating is on it. Some , like the Goodwills are notorious for having very thin plating. I only use straight wax on mine.
    Enthusiasm can become your worst enemy as I speak from experience.

19. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

Nope... just the occasional cleaning; nothing special.

20. TomPike

TomPike Active Member

You guys are starting to sound like fountain pen collectors... :D

Cool! :cool: