Gold Tech vs Super Slim

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Muffinhead, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Muffinhead

Muffinhead Well-Known Member

In the two and a half months that I have been DE shaving I have aquiered three razors, an EJ DE89 (my first), a Super Slim, and a Gold Tech. I love them all and I like the looks of the Tech the best. I can get a great shave from each of them.

My question is this: I know that the Tech is very mild, so if I wanted the same degree of mildness from my Slim, what should I set the Slim at the best replicate the mildness of the Tech?

2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have 3 techs and a '65 Slim. Like you said, the Tech is mild. In my mind, very, very mild. IMO I would guess you've got to put the Slim on 1 or 2 to be the same. Haven't tested it out, but that would be my guess. I believe there is an aggressiveness chart on the Badger & Blade "Shavewiki" that you may be able to find where each razor falls.

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Maybe a 3 or a 4 at most but that might be pushing it. IMO 1 is useless.

4. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

1 or 2, in my opinion.

5. Muffinhead

After posting my question I realized how difficult it is to compare the two razors. The Slim and the Tech are so different from each other. The tech has a thinner head profile and it weighs considerably less. Also the Tech has a shorter handle. Even with the same blade exposure, the two razors would shave very differently from each other.

6. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Based on one breakdown I have found the tech is equal to a 1 setting on slim (.56mm gap), a 2 is .61mm and 3 is .66mm. Your DE 89 is .76 mm, a slim on 4 is .74 mm.
    Not sure if any of that helps, I think the quality and comfort of shave you get is your setting (how's that for a cop out? :))

7. Muffinhead

I found the blade gap chart and it really is an interesting chart. If you are interested in looking at it, you can google "ranking by blade gap size". I won't post the link directly since it is on a competing web site and I am not sure of the rules here concerning that, but Google will get you there. According to the chart a Tech is the equivalent of a Slim set at 1, or a .56 mm gap, as dbersh stated above.

8. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

That is a very handy chart. There is also one for razor weights too

9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Set it at a 2-3.

Techs are my favorite.