Good source for identification of Gillette razors required

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Paul Knight, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Paul Knight

Paul Knight New Member

Hi guys

I am a relatively new convert to Retro wet shaving, whilst i have always wet shaved using cartridge razors i became disillusioned with the very high prices and relatively short life they gave.

Coming across an old Rolls at a swop meet got me interested :-

a/ It was quite valuable as a collectable
    b/ It was well made, came as a kit of bits, and appealled to my Engineering roots
    c/ It was shiny and pretty
    d/ I could use it
    e/ Shaving could possibly become cheap and enjoyable.

6 months later and about 20 razors , of which i have 12 in my rotation i have settled as my current favouite ( subject to my next purchase ) a Black Beauty using Wilkinson Sword blades.

Shaving is no longer a chore but an enjoyable ritual!!

Seriously Hooked!!!!

But here is my Dilema - i need some help in identifying models in my collection and those i want to track done as further purchases , equally the duplicates i want to accurately advertise on the BAY

Can some one point me in the right direction

And yes i did use the Rolls and survived with a face left - it did draw a bead of sweat or two though!! - LOL

2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yep. That, or post a pic and ask. I know many folks here who know their way around the razor world.

Then there's Jodi ;)!

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

If you can find a copy of Krumholtz Complete Gillette Collector's Handbook or Waits Compendium, and they are hard to come by, are excellent reference materials.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    ...I wish that was true. Here in the U.S., they are more a curiosity than a collectible. Shaving with a "straight on a stick" has been an interesting experience for me though.:) Welcome to the Den.

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046: