Goodfella Safety Razors...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SlagleRock, Nov 24, 2008.

1. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Do people in New Zealand even shave? Maybe that's why they are so expensive?

:happy102

2. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

No worries my friend. :cool:

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

As someone on another forum mentioned, the price is in New Zeland Dollars, so is much less that it first appears, but still expensive. I like the look, but it would take a few good reviews from long-time wet shavers and at least a slight price reduction before I'd consider buying one.

4. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Still, there is no grip whatsoever on the handle. That just looks like a bad idea. Maybe some O rings of peoples progresses will fix that.

5. riffin

riffin Active Member

If the grooves are cut sharply, the edges might provide grip. But I was thinking the same thing about o-rings (#7 is what I use). One each per
    groove would be nice!

6. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator

In my opinion, for that price, we shouldn't have to add anything to have decent grip. It does look slick, but maybe it's better in person (I sure hope so)

7. Big Dick Dubloon

Big Dick Dubloon New Member

I don't even think it looks that good. As far as safety razors go, you can get a good used gold plated Merkur on ebay for around twenty bucks often. I'm all for new products, but I don't think there is too much of a market for seemingly overpriced, slick handled safety razors.

I really have no idea what I'm talking about since I still shave with a crappy mach 3 with notches in the blades, but I figure I'd still put in my two cents.

Also, I think the "G" and the Goodfellas Schtick in general is totally classless. I may be a newb but anyone who thinks otherwise is pretty classless too, and that's not an opinion, that's a fact. I'm not saying I'm very classy or anything like that, but I know what classy looks like, and that ain't it.

Dick

8. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I am amazed at the negativity on this forum (and over a B&B) concerning these razors. No one has had a chance to shave with one as yet. But all I hear is how bad this and that is, the price is too high, etc. Get real folks! It's a start up company that's doing something no one in the US has the nerve or possibly $$ to try.

I feel there should be no negative comments, not one, at this time because none of us knows anything about this razor other than what it looks like and the price. Until someone purchases one, uses it for awhile and then reports we should be encouraging and open minded.

Now go have a Happy Thanksgiving.

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

And think of the price of international shipping on top of that!

10. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I don't think it is negativity per se, it's just reality. A new unknown company offering a razor priced up there with a reputable company like Rooney, for example, is going to catch some flak. That's just business.

11. xChris

xChris Member

I noticed that the default pricing was in NZ dollars on the website. I was able to change the pricing to USD, and that reduced the cost to $64.02 for the razor itself.

The chrome finishing (with no knurling at the lower end) on the handle reminds me of a Merkur Futur; I suspect it would be similar in-hand while using, though I don't own either of these razors.

12. JimR

JimR Active Member

$64...?
    I got a Futur for $56...

13. Will

Will Nevermind

Ya getting one?

I would love to hear how it works.

I wouldn't say the comments are really that negative due to we are just going off of what we see.

Heck I could buy one, use it and say it was crap but that is just one persons view. Same as if I were to say it was the best thing since sliced bread, it would still only be one persons view.

14. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Am I getting one?? Yes, I am but not until after the Christmas. Got too many kids/grandkids to take care of right now. Being a retired military guy limits my budget a little bit.

As said, one persons view is just that. However, we gotta start somewhere. Somebody needs to try one of these razors out and report back and then we go from there. But to start complaining before anyone has even tried just seems wrong to me. That's my .02 worth and now I'll shut up for awhile.

15. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that several "Goodfellas" are on their way to the US for reviews allready.

16. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

I also read that he sold 24 to the US the first week. I'm sure his local sales were much higher. Despite the evil horrible cost of these razors it looks like he's off to a decent start. I too heard that several were on their way to the US. I am anxious for the first reviews.

By the way Kiwishaver if you find your way to the TSD that was sarcasm, I won't make a judgment on price until I can compare quality. Reviews are needed.

17. awweeks

awweeks New Member

tell them to send me one to try. ill try not to let my hand slip and get an ouchy.

18. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

:happy102 Me too! Good show!

19. Will

Will Nevermind

You can't shut up, that's a rule. Hey I didn't make it. :happy102

Let us know how it works.

20. blaireau

blaireau New Member

I received one of the Goodfellas in chrome from John at Shaving Essentials. At first I was concerned that the handle was going to be a bit slippery but to my surprise, that isn't the case. Others have posted similar experiences on this issue. Maybe the nice grip of even a smooth handle has to do with it being made out of stainless steel, perhaps someone who knows metals can comment on this. Next, I looked the razor over from a quality of craftsmanship point of view. As far as I can tell, it exudes quality! Last, to the shave. I have shaved with this razor over a dozen times and like it very much. It has become my go-to razor for the first pass. I especially like the maneuverability and something that I think of as "visibility" over and around the razor. I have a partial beard and being able to maneuver easily and "see" where I'm shaving is very important to me. I have gouged out chunks in my beard with many other razors but not with this one. Lastly, I must say that I didn't like the shave with the supplied Derby blades. After one shave I switched over to Gillette Swedes and have had really excellent shaves every time.