got in my baton handle gem...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by omegapd, Feb 27, 2009.

1. tom myers

tom myers Member

You know, Fuzzy, I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I haven't tried that Treet . . . I'll have to put that on my list.

Regards,
    Tom

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well let us know how it goes... If I find one for sale I will have to pick it up.

Fuzzy

3. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I've shaved with the Treet safety bar model.Identical to the 1912 in performance.;):D

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

thank's for the report

Fuzzy

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

very very true...hahaha.

ive never seen an ER one. youd think there would be one with the ones youve found.

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The Gem and Ever Ready handles interchange do they not..:confused:

Fuzzy

7. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

yes they do. i think he means an actual, legitimate ER with a fat handle.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:D I was being a smart aZZ ... too much coffee maybe.

Fuzzy

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

or i too little sleep :o

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sleep??? what is that

Fuzzy

11. tom myers

tom myers Member

Actually, they don't always interchange. Older Kampfes, Gems and ER's had 6-32 threads and the newer SE razors had 10-32. You will find ASR 1912's with both threads. I won't hang my hat on this, but I suspect the fat handled razors, being a newer style of 1912, all have the 10-32 thread . . . all of mine do but, statistically, that is a very small sampling. I haven't been able to pin down just what year this change happened.

Regards,
    Tom

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I hate it that we can not pin down some of these things better. But they were such a good product that was made for a long long time.

Fuzzy

13. tom myers

tom myers Member

Sooner or later we may be able to narrow this down better, but as of now, all evidence points to ASR making the change from the "traditional" 6-32 thread, which I suspect was carried over from the Kampfe days, to the more robust 10-32 thread somewhere between 1914 and 1918.

Point of interest . . . Of course the gender is opposite, but the 10-32 is the same size thread that Gillette and most other DE razors use.

You know, Fuzzy, these little mysterys wouldn't be half as much fun if they could be solved too easily. :D

Regards,
    Tom

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You do have a point Sir.. you do have a point.

Fuzzy