Got my first slant today!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by McGrande, Mar 4, 2017.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

IB had the RazoRock German 37 slant on sale last week for under $15.00 and I figured I'd like to try one out. It arrived today with an Omega S10065 synthetic that I'll be using for travel. (going to Scotland in May)
    Joe also through in a tuck of Derby Extra blades.

Anyway, I'll probably give it a go tomorrow. (with an Astra SP blade) I'm always nervous trying a new type of razor. For years I used an EJ DE87 with great results. Last year I got a Fatip Grande OC razor and use it most every day. A few years ago my boss gave me his grandfather's Ever-Ready SE razor. I picked up some blades at a CVS, but have yet to try it out. Something about it has me spooked. (told you I'm a chicken)

So, for those of you that have an aggressive OC razor and a slant, what should I watch out for when shaving with the slant for the first time? How do slants rate aggressive-wise compared to an OC? It looks kind of sinister, like it has an angry smirk to it. And for you SE folks, talk me into giving this old Ever-Ready a try.

Slant&Ever-Ready.JPG

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats on your slant! It looks sinister, but it should shave similar to a regular DE. Because of the head geometry, a downward stroke becomes a scything stoke which many claim to be more efficient. That's all there is to the slant, IMO. I found my Merkur 37C slant to be less agressive than my OCs. Do not fear it. Just hold your blade angle and remember to use no pressure. The razor loaded with an Astra SP will treat you right. :happy088:

3. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Can't comment on the slant, but as far as the SE, angle is the most important part. I get great shaves out of mine, and it only ever bit me once when I tried a Blue carbon blade... Just take it slow and mind the angle, and you'll be fine.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Slants look cool, but they shave regular. I got rid of mine a couple of years ago, but I got me a bakelite one in December. It shaves great, too.
    The ER 1924 you have to watch out for. Use a light touch and a low angle. You will be ok.

5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have two slants, the Merkur 39c and the Ikon 102. I've found both to be some of the smoothest, most comfortable, most efficient razors I own. By "efficient" I mean aggressive without the threat of bloodshed. I don't thick I could nick myself with the Ikon if I tried. Whereas, my OC Old Type is aggressive to where you've got to be careful. I think slants are awesome. Does the slant do anything? I don't know, but as Jayaruh said, they look cool. And the 39c is called "The Sledgehammer" how cool is that?

HERM

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    opsimath, DesertTime and wristwatchb like this.
  6. wristwatchb

Herm, which slant is your favorite of the two that you own...and why?

Herm2502 likes this.
  7. wristwatchb

I think a slant razor (or the use of the "Gillette slide") is indeed more efficient at cutting hairs. Consider how scissors work or how you slice turkey with a knife. (I'm not calling you a turkey, as far as you know. :)) The cutting edge is held at an angle in relation to whatever is being cut, and a slicing action is employed. Just imagine how difficult (or less efficient) it would be to push or pull a flat blade edge though an item being cut. This helps me understand why the slant razor is more efficient, but not necessarily better.

With good technique, I don't think it matters if you shave with a slant razor or a conventional DE. Both kinds of razors are capable of providing excellent shaves. Just my opinion. :) I do think slant razors look cool, though.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Herm2502 likes this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Shave with it like you would with any other razor, I love that he has changed to the bamboo handle. Happy shaving;

Herm2502 likes this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Good question. For cool vintage looks it's the Merkur (on the right). For shaving smoothness and comfort it's the Ikon. The are slants in different ways. The Merkur twists the blade while the Ikon has a tilted head. Both razors are big and heavy.
    20170304_202855.jpg

HERM

EnglishChannel and wristwatchb like this.
  10. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Used it this morning and it performed wonderfully. Two pass, minor touch ups. Not at all aggressive but smooth and efficient. Just as good a shave as my Fatip Grande. Nice heavy handle, good grip. Very pleased with this razor! And thanks for the advice & tips!

EnglishChannel and Herm2502 like this.