Got some single edge questions...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by omegapd, Feb 25, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Hi All,

I've asked around a little bit on PM but figured I'd ask here too. I've picked up two S/E razors- a Gem Junior and Star and like them very much. I've had horrible luck finding blades, though, either in town or on-line. Can anyone recommend an on-line store for S/E blades? Ebay and the like don't seem to have any and (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm sure there's a difference between shaving blades and the S/E blades I can find at Lowes or other hardware stores...

2.) How can I figure out when my Gem Junior was made? I see wchnu and others tell exact dates for theirs.

3.) Did they make any S/E razors with longer handles than what I have? If so, can you give me some names I can hunt Ebay with? That's my biggest gripe with the whole safety razor thing so far. I've actually been using an old Lady Gillette just because the handle is longer and makes it easier for me to shave with than my smaller razors.

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Eric

2. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Not an SE expert, so I can't help too much.

I don't know if there is really a specific way to narrow down the exact year of a SE. They don't have date codes. However, from what I can tell, they are going by patent dates and years that the razors were known to be sold.

If you want a longer handled SE try a Gem micromatic. A G-bar might have that long of a handle as well Even within the older GEM models, there are some with longer handles than others but there isn't a major difference.

Yes, the SE blades in a hardware store are not for shaving. Drugstores and stores like Walmart may have some Gem or other brand SE stores in their shaving section. For ordering SE blades online, one of the vendors many use is currently closed (razor and brush). However, you can order 200 blades at a time from tedpella.com I think the model they get is 121-3; however, don't order until that is confirmed! They are about $35 plus shipping there, so keep an eye out for a group buy.

3. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

am far from an expert, but here is what I have learned so far. It is difficult to get an exact date on any of the Kampfe/Star/Gem/Ever Ready, family of razors. These are all branches of the same tree, and did not put serial numbers or date codes on their razors. So we are forced to date them by patent dates and ads as Etoyoc stated. Sometimes, if I understand correctly, the only difference between some of the years is the case or box for the razor. My lather catcher could be from 1905-08, but was id'ed as a 1908 because of the case.

The G-Bar may have a slightly longer handle than the others, I have one but have not done a side by side comparison. There is a member here and at other forums named Cooncat Bob, he does both wood and metal work. He makes some amazing brush handles and razor boxes. He also makes custom handles for some of the newer razors, I am sure that to make a longer handle for one of these would be no problem to make. I am sure that any glaring mistakes will be corrected by the keepers of the knowledge. :1respect

And :bounce017I welcome to the expanding club, may your razor always be shiny and your face smooth!:D

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I have one in my rotation and the blades come from my firendly neighborhood CVS.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Those are good answers.. we go by pat dates and what knowledege some members have. I just aquired a 1912 model that has a plastic handle that dated it as 1943 or so. I did not even know that they made them that long. But it is a great razor. I also have a Superior lather catcher that has pat. date of 1900..so I call it a 1900 model. Although I really can not tell when it was made exactly.

The micromatics do have heavier handle. I have not compared them side by side though with others. Do your SE's have the longer handle or the short travel razor type? I will compare the micromatic to a lady gillette that I have and see how it sizes up.

Welcome to the SE club. These things are great Razors.. now it is Dave's turn

Fuzzy

6. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Dave? Dave's not here man. (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself, sometimes I crack me up!!) :happy102 :happy097

7. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I don't know. :o They're both the same size.

[​IMG]

Checked two Family Dollars today for blades with no luck. Doesn't surprise me, these two stores always appear to be on their last leg everytime I go in there.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Try Dollar General.

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

a couple places to get SE blades online are -

www.tedpella.com (121-3 are the ones youll want)

www.razorandbrush.com (go to the shaving store)

locally youll probably be able to find brands such as treet and gem personna at your rite aid or CVS type places.

the gem and star were patent and made around the same time: 1912. youll see where the handle screws in that it says this. they remained in production through the 1920s. can we say exactly when each razor is from? in a lot of cases no, so we call them 1912s.

as for longer handled razors, the gem micromatics are probably your best bet, but only after youve gotten your technique down with what you have pictured. the MM is an entirely different kind of flying. and down the road, youll come to find the REALLY early gems sometimes had handles up to almost 6 inches long. some names to hunt for:

gem razor
    gem junior
    gem cutlery
    star razor
    kampfe razor
    kampfe bros.

hope that helped.

oh and guys...im always here.

:chores026

10. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

We know and we like that way! :D

11. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

dont sell yourself short guys. your knowledge is growing really quick :)

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

viva le revolution or something like that.

Fuzzy

13. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

ego venit ego tondeo.

:happy001

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You to smert for me and google did not help that time:prrr

Fuzzy

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i came i shaved.

:D

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I like that.:happy102

Fuzzy

17. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

These Gem razors really interest me. I do not have one as yet and have passed up a couple of beat up ones I saw.

I found one the other day - quite elaborate like a Gem Jr - I recall it had Gem and Ever Ready names on the razor and a patent date of 1901. It had a fairly simple tear drop black handle - perhaps wood or a bakelite type of material. No case. Quite good shape but a little brassing around the edges. That is all I remember and it is about 100 miles away.

What are these types of razors worth? The guy wants 40CDN which is about 35 USD and I think that seems quite high. Thoughts?? Is this type of razor hard to find? I see a few Gem Juniors on evilbay but I don't know if this one is more scarce??

As always - thanx for your help guys

18. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

got a picture? sort of sounds like a 1907 gem jr.

19. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

No I don't have a picture. I keep meaning to bring a camera when I go hunting but....

It is similar to the Gem jr pictured below. I tried to find one on the net I where I could see the front better but had no luck. I recall the one I saw being different somewhat though - a plainer handle for one. And it did not say Junior on it at all (I cant tell if the one below says that - I can't really read it) - my memory is getting a little fuzzy though. It definately had a 1901 patent on it. Does that help?

and thnx - if it were a 1907 jr what do you think a fair price would be?

gemjr.jpg

20. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

if its that one, its a 1907. its not hard to find per say, but it definitely dosent come up all that often, maybe once or twice a month. personally id say $35 is a fair price if its in good or better condition.