Gotta brag about Feathers...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Soph Gent, Dec 16, 2011.

1. The Soph Gent

The Soph Gent Member

I bought a sample pack of blades to try until I settle on a favorite. Out of all the razors I received, I tried the Feathers 2nd. I wish I had tried it last. Amazing blade.

I am using it with a Muhle R89 and I have used the blade 2x now. Received a true BBS shave after a day and a half growth with only 2 passes and some minor touch up.
    BUT, I just tried it again today after a 3 day growth. Got another true BBS after 2 passes. To be honest, 1st pass was WTG, 2nd was ATG. But the first pass, is still the closest WTG shave I have gotten.

I guess I'll try the other blades but I can't imagine anything beating the Feathers.

2. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Congrats on getting a great BBS shave and finding a combo of razor and blade that works well for you. It's always good to try different blades, just in case. I do that, but I always end up back at the beginning. :)

3. rbaloha

rbaloha Member

Great blade that provides outstanding shaves with great beard prep.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Feather is indeed a fantastic blade! The ONLY thing that stops me from buying them in bulk is the cost. I have looked around for awhile and they can be had from between .30 and .50 cents per blade... which may sound cheap... but then I have like 10,000 Voskhods's in stock at less than half the lowest price of a Feather...

But yeah: Feather is a very nice blade.

5. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

Feather (and Kai) are "top" blades indeed.

6. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Feathers are great blades, especially in the Muhle/EJ razor IMHO. However, through advice given by many in this forum, and from my own experimentation, there are some Russian blades that rival the almighty Feather in shave quality, and are available at half or a third the price. These include: Voskhod, Rapira, and 7-O'Clocks (yellow, blue, green), and possibly others. Now that you have the Feather base-lined from a quality perspective, suggest you give these Russian bears a tryout in full comparison. I consider this my "advanced" sample pack.

7. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Feathers are a very good blade my most favorite for some time. And since you like the Feather you will love the Voskhod as well. They can be bought at the Shave Den store very, very reasonably! IMHO they are just as sharp but yet may be smoother than the Feather. I'm glad your finding your groove and enjoying your shave!

8. Michael519

Michael519 Member

I got around 100 feathers recently for $30 or so; Not bad at all, considering I'd been recently buying 4 carts for roughly the same price. Thirty cents is plenty cheap enough for me. But, they ARE extremely sharp. I'm hoping that fact alone will help me cut down on prep time.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Don't ever, ever, ever skimp on the prep. A poor prep will lead to a poor shave every time.

SharpSpine and GDCarrington like this.
  10. tommyboy923

tommyboy923 Member

Another vote for the Feathers here. I am still new to wet shaving and I have experimented with a few didfferent blades in a Weishi and a Merkur Long Handle Progress over the past two months. I was a bit concerned about using a Feather for the first time, having heard about how sharp they are. That sharpness is a major plus. Shaving is easier, it's faster and my trouble spots are less troublesome with the Feather. I'm planning on buying them in bulk and making them my everyday blades. Merkur Long Hand Progress + Feather + Mario Badescu Pre Shave Conditioner + Proraso = this ugly mug looking about as good as it can.

11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I have 2 packs of feathers aint used em in a while, If I find the enough bottle over the next few weeks I'll try one in the R-41,

SharpSpine likes this.
  12. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Awww it makes for a wicked wicked shave there for sure, but I'm betting you will like how smooth it is. You gotta just watch the pressure or she will git ya!