Grey Flannel, and a burberry question

Discussion in 'Scents' started by aberneth, Nov 5, 2010.

1. aberneth

aberneth Member

I stopped by TJ Maxx on my way home today and picked up a 120ml bottle of Grey Flannel for $12.99. Great buy. This stuff is great for a low cost designer frag. Perfect for the winter ahead. I also saw a number of Burberry frags while I was there, namely London, Brit, and Touch. TJ Maxx has a closed-box policy, so I wasn't able to sample any of them. I'm thinking about going back to buy one, as they have them at $29.99/100ml. So, which one do I buy, not having smelled any of them?

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My wife freaks when she smells Grey Flannel--she loves it. :D

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. modelyacht

modelyacht Member

Burberry...

Ok..bought the Burberry sampler last year.
    Maybe it's my age, but:

London, is nice...cinnamon spice almost, but dry. Very classy, the wife asked what I was wearing the first time I put it on...

Brit - floral and powdery, powdery, powder...eventually changes and has a nice drydown if you wait that long. Ok when dressed up, but doesn't seem appropriate for casual wear.

Touch - artifically sweet violet, followed by powdery auntie's handbag stuff. Supposedly popular, but gives me a headache. If you like Grey Flannel you might like just like it.

I keep meaning to move those last two to "her" drawer in the bathroom so I'll stop using Brit. I rarely ever touch the bottle of Touch. I think they'd be more fitting for a woman. But that's just me.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I am not the OP, but thank YOU for these descriptions; very valuable stuff right there.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. aberneth

aberneth Member

Burberry's male line is all somewhat feminine, it seems. Even Grey Flannel is Unisex, it seems. That violet note could go either way. The only thing that really sets it on the masculine side is the oakmoss. Perhaps there's something to be said for wearing more unisex fragrances. Something about strongly male colognes makes them intolerable to many. As much as I like Eucris, half the people I meet seem to disagree. Not that it'll ever change my mind about it.

Anyhow, I think after reading so many mixed reviews that my best bet is to head to Perfumania and try the whole burberry line. I know from experience that I love The Beat. Sadly TJ Maxx doesn't have The beat.

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

speaking of unisex; Florida Water, 4711, and Turkish Lemon Cologne are all what I would consider unisex and they are all in my den. They are all good stuff. I have Grey flannel, but it is too....heavy? Oily? I wear it every now and then.

On the other hand; TSD Green Irish Tweed smells like Grey Flannel to me and is not too heavy so I prefer the TSD over the GF.

Ijustmissedthe50s and crackstar like this.
  7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    All fragrances are unisex.

It's people's perceptions that are mono-sex.

8. aberneth

aberneth Member

Oh, I absolutely agree. Regardless of whether our dichotomy of scents is learned or predetermined, the whole spectrum of scents from feminine to masculine has appeal. It's mostly a social inhibition and a little voice in our head that says "Why do I smell like my mother?" that keeps men from wearing creed's line for women, or chanel chance, et al.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you would like to know what the notes are for these three, click on the links. If you read the reviews you will find a select group of men and women who are as rabid about fragrances as we are about shaving. We however, are not snobs. (Does that sound snobby?):D I like Brit, I find it to be spicy and good. Not powdery at all. but YMMV.

Brit for Men
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121947.html
    London for Men
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125694.html
    Touch for Men
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121597.html

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There are scents that are definatly just for the ladies. Well in my opinion Chanel #5 is not a men's scent.

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's Not!!!?:shocked003

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope not where I come from.. heh
    :D

13. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That certainly proves my point.

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Neither is Grey Flannel, but when Corinne smells it, she will follow the guy!

Ijustmissedthe50s and Robyflexx like this.
  15. aberneth

aberneth Member

Thank you for your thought on brit. Basenotes is always the first place I go. Unfortunately, those reviews rarely hold true for me. Wetshavers seem to have a very different idea of how to interpret a scent than "perfume snobs". And, unfortunately, reading the notes doesn't tell me much about how much I'll like a scent. Enter the sample pack :D

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

just go to macys and ask to sample some stuff. see if you like it.

17. aberneth

aberneth Member

Bought a 100ml atomizer of London. Not a hint of buyer's remorse ;)

This definitely doesn't feel like a designer scent. It could definitely pass off as one of the 3 T's. Having never worn a burberry scent en mass before, I was a bit surprised by the quality tailoring of London.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  18. modelyacht

modelyacht Member

Nice choice....imho.

You can find some good stuff there on occasion.

19. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I have both and find that they are the best for most occasions and quite a value. Target has the Burberry Brit for $35 plus tax which ends up being almost $40 by the time you check out but lasts a long time; just got another bottle for my birthday and the current bottle is over half full.

20. aberneth

aberneth Member

Ah, the joys of being an Oregonian. No sales tax! :happy108

It's strange- I was digging through some old piles of magazines over the weekend(trying to find a lost bank statement), and I came across a torn out burberry london ad (the kind of ad with a scented flap) with the words "Buy me" written in sharpie. I took it as a sign :D

MObigfoot likes this.