Guess the soap.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by dangermouse, Nov 24, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

You bought a year's worth. Wow.

Spyder likes this.
  2. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I shaved with the Arko! I know, you're probably surprised.

I stand by what I wrote initially. I really did check the toilet bowl because I thought someone in the house had overdone it with lemon toilet cleaner, at least that's what the smell reminded me of. I opened the foil packet and for the last week have just let it sit on my window sill. The initial smell has changed. It is still a strong smell but mostly smells of lemons (sort of).

Thanks to this thread, I kept thinking that some of you guys really, really like Arko, so there must be something to it, right?

Well, I face lathered by rubbing the end of the stick on my wet stubble; I'd never done that before and it works really well. I used hardly any soap and it lathered up enough to easily get through three passes. I have to tell you, in terms of lather quality, it is a lovely soap. Nice on the skin. I'll do a video review of the Arko.

The smell after I shaved was much more subtle than I expected, possibly because I actually only needed to use a very small amount of soap. It's perhaps not my most favourite smell but it did go very well with a citrus after shave (Lucky Tiger). So, thanks guys. Having an open mind and a good healthy debate meant I tried a soap that I nearly threw away. Nice one.

Didn't Steve Winward write a song called Arko the diver? ;)

Jayaruh, SharptoothC, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nic
    Nice :happy088:
    Steve Winwood

dangermouse and Spyder like this.
  4. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Yeah I bought that 12 stick deal off amazon for $10. Sucked me in lol.

Jayaruh and dangermouse like this.
  5. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Glad you stuck it out and tried it. I have it in rotation. It is not a daily driver for me, but I use it on occasion and I do think it gives a great shave. The scent does not linger long on the face. I have heard that if you open it and grate it up into a bowl and leave it open, the scent will dissipate quite a bit.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

dangermouse and PickledNorthern like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks to this thread, I have decided to break out the Arko for the month of December. I am glad you did a face lather with it. That is the way I do it. It is a good lathering soap.
    arko3.jpg