Guilt using Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Is it just me? Does anyone else feel guilty using their prize Fatboy instead of leaving it all pristine in its case in the drawer?

I know it's been around longer than I have. I know it's MADE to be used. What's wrong with me?! I should enjoy it - I do have 2 of them for crying out loud. BOTH with cases.

Somebody help a brother out with some mental therapy.

2. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I had a nos hoffritz . lol I felt guilty using it. But I'm not a collector in the sense that I have nos items that can't be used. For me, everything I buy I plan on using . Even my nos Gillette president .

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

A fatboy or slim adjustable is on my wish list ... to use. Personally, I don't see any reason to own it if your not going to enjoy it. Now, if it were a really rare, high value piece that is purchased as an investment, that would be a different story.

Sent using Tapatalk

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you have that has never been opened, still in its case and plan on reselling it for top dollar to a collector, then don't use it.

Otherwise, use it to shave.

It is a mass-produced razor that was a meant to shaved with, not put on a pedestal (or hidden in a drawer). FBs aren't the rarest (nor arguably the 'best') of the Gillette lot, so enjoy it.
    Vintage? Sure, its nearly sixty years old, but it's vintage label shouldn't preclude one from enjoying it.
    I shave with straights easily 3x that age. ;)

5. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I don't keep any gear I don't intend to use. If it loses its love and I no longer use it, I PIF it or donate to forum raffles. There's no guilt in using your gear. There's no guilt in not using your gear. Just enjoy it either way.
    ... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

twhite, waffen, Demidog and 4 others like this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

^this

Sure, keep it as nice as you can, but why have it if you can't/won't use it. It's not like it's a super rare one off.

waffen likes this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    They were made to be used, not worshiped. Use it and don't feel guilty.

waffen, Demidog, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  8. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

Bama Samurai and waffen like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

And the Israelites melted down the fatboys and formed them into a graven silvery bull....

Yeah, it loses something in translation. :(

RetLEO-07, swarden43, waffen and 7 others like this.
  10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I would add that if the razor was completely NOS in its case with all accessories and manuals, then the time to feel guilty was BEFORE you opened the case for the first time, took it out and played around with it or even (shudder) used it to shave. After it was opened and/or used for that first, it was no longer an NOS razor but just a used one in excellent condition, and a little more careful use isn't going to hurt it or its resale value any. Even if that careful use happens every day for the next 30 years.

Bama Samurai and waffen like this.
  11. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

All great points and I sincerely appreciate the replies, guys. Seriously.

waffen and RyX like this.
  12. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The short answer is "yes". Coincidentally, I'm using my 24 KTV replated 1958 Executive. I only use it occasionally and am hesitant because it's perfect. But, I get little enjoyment looking at it in a box sitting on a shelf. Use it and enjoy.

HERM

waffen, Demidog and wristwatchb like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Are you an investor or a wet shaver? It's not an uncommon razor, unless you are anxious to flip it enjoy using it. I'd feel guilty not using a razor other people might enjoy.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

waffen, Herm2502 and wristwatchb like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Use it and have fun!

15. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

(Screaming from the mountain top) I AM A WET SHAVER!!!!!

waffen, RyX, Herm2502 and 1 other person like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

THEN ENJOY SHAVING GUILT FREE

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

waffen likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree, if it's not a NOS, use it......

waffen and Knox like this.
  18. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

On second thought, you should feel guilty. In fact, you should feel so guilty that you PIF it to me .... and then I will use without feeling the least twinge of guilt in doing so. :). Just a suggestion on how to resolve your little philosophical dilemma. :) :) :)

twhite, DesertTime and John Beeman like this.
  19. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

You are most kind LOL

waffen and Screwtape like this.
  20. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

My daughter-in-law thought I was nuts when I told her how much I paid for a toggle...but it's what I'm using for my first-ever 30 day Focus thingie. It will eventually go to one of my grandsons, but for now, it's pretty cool using something old & unique. It would be a shame *not* to use it.

twhite, waffen, Demidog and 5 others like this.