Guilt using Fatboy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Knox, Jan 4, 2017.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

My first FatBoy wasn't pristine and it wasn't overpriced so that helped a lot.

Then I got a couple more in better condition (at good prices), sold one to a friend (at no profit), and eventually I sent one to Delta Echo Razors and had it customized. That helped even more.

Then a couple of months ago I found two more in excellent condition (in cases) for 10 bucks each at an antique store. That probably helped the most.

You just need more of them and they can still be found at fair prices. Right now I'm actually not sure if I have four or five of them. It's quite possible that there's one I've forgotten about and I've been thinking seriously about maybe PIFing one or donating to a TSD raffle.

twhite, Hodge, RyX and 4 others like this.
  2. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I think those were executives and Aristocrats.

Herm2502 likes this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I use it all.

Herm2502 likes this.
  4. MObigfoot

MObigfoot Active Member

I am getting ready to send one to Delta Echo to have it refinished. When it gets back it will be used regularly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

:signs011: First one I saw in the wild was $45 (ebay price check much?). Within a week I bought the one I use often for a five dollar bill. Since then I've aquired and passed on through trades, PIF's, and gifting to family 4 or 6 others. None was show quality, but user grade means use it. Next one I find is already spoken for (@NCoxSTL !), but you own 2? Use the lesser of them. You can feel good about "preserving" the other. Only way to be sure which is the better one is shave with both. For a month or more!

6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I think it would be a different story if you couldn't get another one. Give it a while and you'll move up to straights or SE's and you'll not care if you own a Gillette or not anyways :D

My planned SOTD tomorrow is with what was a rare NOS nearly unobtanium Schick Type O razor. I dont feel any guilt now....I did the first time I did though....no not really. I was dying to try it but received it while on vacation and didn't have any blades for it :angry017:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    twhite, RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  7. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

i think this is why i have 3 of them.

RyX and Troy M like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

There's your problem, you're buying nice ones with cases. You need to get a user-grade one with no case, some brassing, etc.

Seriously, though, you know enough about basic care and a Fatboy is built like a tank anyway. Your biggest risk in using it is probably the wear and tear on the case, rather than the razor.

RetLEO-07 and Primotenore like this.
  9. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I have 'shave ready' duplicates of all the razors I want to shave with. The best quality ones (cased, with instructions etc) I keep to look at.

RyX likes this.
  10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I use all my very prized razors (occasionally) even the one I got as NOS. I don't plan on selling any of them so I want to enjoy the experience. So I say use it.

twhite, Herm2502 and wristwatchb like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Another thumbs up for this. ^^^^

It isn't especially valuable (in that you aren't throwing away some large investment by using it), and it is relatively easy to replace if something were to happen to it.

Enjoy your razor.

12. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Its just a tool designed to be used and will last a lifetime with care. The people that made it would enjoy knowing it's still being used and still works just as well as the day they made it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Used it this morning - with the slim on the other half of my face. Both were equal to the task, but the short handle of the Fatboy was a little better.

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I use all of my razors...............

PickledNorthern and Primotenore like this.
  15. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I agree with you, you are only a little crazy. I have a fatboy that was replated and given to me years ago as a birthday present. Oh how it gleams, and yes every time I use it I feel like I am taking a bit of the luster off of it. I only wish I had a case for it. But I definitely agree with you.

RyX likes this.
  16. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

If you feel guilty using a Fat Boy, wait till you try the Slim!

17. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I have three of those-so I don't worry about using them at all

John Beeman, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  18. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I know where you're coming from. My Fatboy is pretty beat up so sometimes I'm afraid to make it even worse. It's such a good razor though that I can't pass up the chance to use it. I just take turns rotating it in with the Slim.

I also thought that you got a second Fatboy specifically so that you could leave the first one in its case. Maybe you should've gotten one of the really bruised up Fatboys so that the razor would feel guilty instead.

19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Same...with the exception of this one due to the desire to preserve a historical artifact as well as not risk getting tetanus...:sick013: :D
    [​IMG]

More on Civil War Razor, Click Here!

RyX, twhite, Herm2502 and 5 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I actually feel guilty if I don't use them.

RyX, twhite, Bobcat and 1 other person like this.