Has anyone restored a Gillette razor box

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Feb 16, 2016.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I've cleaned the outside with wet wipes initially, then leather cleaner and cream polish. The inside velvet needs cleaning; I don't want to take off the Gillette logo, so I'm thinking a wet wipe and a soft brush. The velvet also needs re-sticking to the tin, I think I will have to carefully remove it completely. Any ideas for glue? As for the box it has lost it's snap as it closes and a small curved piece of metal fell out of the box from under the velvet. I assume this is part of the Spring.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

AGHisBBS, dangermouse and Robyflexx like this.
  3. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I started with a can of compressed air to clean out the loose matter in the velvet area (this worked great) but don't spray to close at first. DO NOT spray air directly and up close to the Gillette logo area as this may cut thru the ribbon like material. I used wet Q Tips on the inside to further clean the velvet lined area and logo area and really didn't need to use any type of soap. But I had no real stains so I was just removing left over dust. Also be careful using any type of vacuum cleaner nozzle. Remember that this material is close to or over 100 years old and needs to be cleaned in a very delicate manner. Regarding the outside leather I first wiped down with a wet cotton ball, and then applied (wet cotton ball) black shoe polish and then finished with saddle soap to try and rejuvenate by adding some moisture to the old leather covering. Mine was very brittle and this seemed to add a little flexibility to the leather. Again go slow. I used this process on all four of my boxes. Go slow and good luck.

AGHisBBS, dangermouse and RyX like this.
  4. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

That's great advice. Thank-you.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. Bezoar

Bezoar Active Member

I have a 46-47 aristocrat case taken down. the issue I have is the internal condition of the metal tin case warrants a replate. but I have no real interest in spending a lot of money for a replate on a case.

but its not worth trying to save the velvet from the bottom tray

dangermouse likes this.