Have you ever used a brand of blades you couldn't get AT LEAST 3 good shaves from?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tazorac, Apr 22, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

will try one when i try my new sc tonight..

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

derby dragged and pulled from the start,gillette yellow ;2 and a bit passes.no problems with any others.will used the yellows with aggressive razors or light beard growth and see what happens.

3. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Nah, the Derby didn't tug, it's just your idea. All you need to do is improve your technique. :happy097:

BTW, ordered a tuck of Treet Platinum and of Croma Diamant... If there are 2 blades that now i really worry about, it's these 2... We will see. Bought styptic pencil. I am ready!

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i guess my beard doesn t like duller blades.carts never lasted long either.probably why i grew a beard for years.minimal shaving

5. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I was just pulling your leg. It's what @Bama Samurai tells me, every time I complain about Derbys being dull. Don't worry, you 're perfectly normal not liking Derby. I find them usable, but rather tedious in my razor.

brit likes this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Bic... yes they make DE blades.

7. brit

brit in a box

all good.there are many who like derby blades.my buddy loves them; he bought the rest of my 100 pack.sharp blades chew him up.he has fine whiskers as he says.

hamoncan and Shave Fu like this.
  8. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

See, that's perfectly logical. I 've been saying it in the past days, that the only problem Derbys have, is against tough whiskers. If you don't have tough whiskers, they cut. And if you get too sharp blade, it's overkill and it nicks you. Which is why i don't even remotely think of buying a tuck of Feathers, just to try. I know i don't want them. Nor the supersharps, like Perma-Sharp, Iridiums, 7 O Clock sharp edge and i don't know what else. Middle of the road blades work fine with me, just sharper than Derby.

brit likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Derby is dull, in a relative sense. I only use it shavette and the Fatip, to be honest. Derby, as you note, is a bit of work in a mild geometry razor head.

brit likes this.
  10. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I settled on Personna Lab blades as my favorite years ago, and now I keep a 100 pack stocked at all times.

So it's been a while since I tried any other blade- but the ones that are memorably horrible are: Zorrik, Sharp, and Dorco 300/301.

I included Merkur in that list until I owned a razor that worked with them. Went through a pack or two with a bunch of decent to awesome shaves. They're still too expensive for what you get in my opinion. And I have mixed experience with Derby blades. Bought a 100 pack a long time ago and then decided I didn't like them. I'm not sure what happened. I'm too happy with my Personna Lab blades to go try anything else now.

11. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Believe me, i am still trying to find a duller than Derby! I would say quite a bit of a work! :rofl: Best chance to forgive Derby comes in my next shave: Vidyut Supermax Super Stainless. These must be the bottom of the barrel. They go for 6.5EUR for 200. If they cut better than Derby, then there is NOTHING duller out there! Oh, yeah, i also have the Croma Diamant ordered, who knows, maybe it's duller too... Last 2 chances for Derby! I am running out of blade options here! :rofl:

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Tiger from Czech Republic has an atrocious online reputation, but I've not used one myself.

Shave Fu likes this.
  13. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

This doesn't count. Because i googled it yesterday and i found a letter from a help desk in Czech Repubblic, saying that their blades are really intended mainly for the African market and i kind of remember that they mentioned that have no coating whatsoever. I mean, i couldn't believe my eyes when i read it, but it's true. Cause one of the 2 shops i have on lookout has them and i thought "let's google them". And the funniest part is that they have a price where you think they may be good.

Here it is! 100 Tigers 12 EUR. The same shop, sells 100 Bluebirds 4.80, 100 Astra SP 7.70, 100 Voskhods 16.70 (doesn't have them yet, but on paper...)

So you think "hey, these are double the money of the Astras and close to Voskhods! Maybe they 're a hidden gem!". And then you read that they are really intended for the african jungle...

[​IMG]

vs (same shop):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    brit and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I hope they work out for ya. If they do, you've found a good combo.

brit likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Neal has played with them. He says they are bad.....!

Shave Fu likes this.
  16. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

They 're bad and cost almost twice as the Astras! (see above, my picture).

EDIT: I found the message again, it was in "Badger and Blade". It's actually for "non stainless" blades. So the "Stainless" should be better. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    Bama Samurai likes this.
  17. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Gotta love the Amarican market lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shave Fu likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

i tried my new short comb last night with a gsb blade.took the 4 day growth off effortlessly. i like this combination.0 drama.thank you.gary

19. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

The Merkur blade that came with my 33C was horrible. I tossed it after 1 shave. Supermax Super Platinum are also horrible. I tossed that after 1 shave as well. And here comes the controversy, but Voskhod blades don't do anything for me. I find them dull and not particularly smooth.

Shave Fu likes this.
  20. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

Bad blades for me:
    Van der Hagen
    Merkur
    Personna

Very average:
    Treet

Good:
    Shark
    Astra