Heavy or Light

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by KenH, Mar 15, 2018.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

I prefer heavier razors thus far and especially good solid handles that weight the razor somewhat towards the handle.

For me I can then let the razor and the blade do the work while I just guide things. To that end my Futur is a beast anyway, the R41 has a nice chunky Ikon OSS handle and my 33C will I think feel better with this handle - I've yet to try this and won't for a few weeks yet but I find heavy works better. I just wonder what the consensus (if there is such a thing) might be ? I made a conscious decision to go with heavier at the start and am glad I did but what does everyone else think?

Keithmax, Jayaruh, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

The weight of a razor is often too much pressure in my opinion.
    I thus prefer lightweight. My favorite combination is iKon X3 together with Saiver handle, as both are made out of aluminum and the combination is light. The Saiver head is also one of my favorites, and it is aluminum and plastic, and very light. I also get great shaves from lightweight bakelite razors (PAA BOCS and Merkur 45C).

While I prefer lightweight, there are exceptions to this rule too: I prefer a bit heavier handle for Mühle R41, as it adds a bit of inertia to the razor. This razor always tugs a bit, and makes the stroke a bit uneven. The stroke becomes more even for this one when combined with a heavier handle.

Keithmax and KenH like this.
  3. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I agree completely. Pretty much for the same reasons - I like to let the weight of the razor and blade do the work (I find with light razors that I tend to put pressure on them which usually causes problems). It's much easier for me not to put extra pressure on heavy razors and to just let them do their job.

Keithmax, Terry Williams and KenH like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I Have to agree with you on your choice of a heavier razor, I believe it prevents skipping more or less and shave improves with less nicks and weepers with heavier dense beards .

Keithmax likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I find balance more important then weight but much of that comes from how a razor handles in my head shave.

Personally the trend toward putting massive handles on a light head makes no sense to me at all. I'm not at all convinced that putting a 90g steel handle on a 30g head like the R41 is "letting the razor do the work", though it does completely undo the balance, requiring a grip far south on the handle where maneuverability is greatly compromised.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Keithmax, TobyC, KenH and 1 other person like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Personally, I believe that as one's technique solidifies, weight of the handle/razor plays a far less important role.

Keithmax, Zykris, RyX and 5 others like this.
  7. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yes. I never hear anybody complaining about their featherweight Schick E2 "skipping".

Keithmax, RyX, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I just a little heft with my razor. I feel that I don't get that with aluminum razor or 60s-ish injector razors. Not sure that weight makes that much difference in shaving performance.

KenH likes this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I find that weight of the razor is a factor in shaving, but technique trumps it every time.

Good reference to this Schick E2. No extra weight needed.

Btw, I love heavier DEs and brushes.

Keithmax, RyX, Terry Williams and 2 others like this.
  10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I like the weight, but I don't believe it makes a difference in my shave, mostly because I'm holding the razor high enough towards the head that the handle weight doesn't make any difference to the shave.

Keithmax, Jim99 and KenH like this.
  11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

You are probably right. I prefer the weight as it stops me having to think about pressure thus I keep pressure light and think about other aspects, angle, beard grain, sensitive face bits and so on. Maybe more refined technique warrants something lighter but I can't help but enjoy the weighty feel.

Keithmax, Enrico and Jim99 like this.
  12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Now that is interesting, I instinctively used my light razor (mainly as its the mildest) for a single head shave as a tryout. For that I do like lighter and a short handle because there's a lot of angles.

Keithmax, Enrico and Jim99 like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Technique would actually Improve if folks learned to grip the razor as designed . A heavy handle only increases pressure (generally not a good thing) if you're gripping the razor towards mid handle which ain't what the engineers had in mind .

The only razor I've found that really badly needs a heavier handle is the New, the head being optimized for heavier handles but usually found with the too light common bar handle.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Keithmax, KenH, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  14. Primotenore

Article Team
    Not true sir. A refined technique simply means you have learned the idiosyncrasies of the razor; learned the proper angle; learned how to create a slick, well-hydrated lather; learned what blade you like. This sounds like lecturing, but that is not my intention. I too went through this learning process as do all new traditional shavers. Heavy or light, you will decide what's best for you and your shave.

Norcalnewb, Enrico, AlDm and 2 others like this.
  15. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

True. My point about balance is that it's easier to control angle and pressure and make effective micro adjustments when a razor is gripped at its balance point and when that balance point is relatively close to the head rather than far down the handle. Simply a matter of physics which was understood by those who designed your razors.

Keithmax, Enrico, TobyC and 2 others like this.
  16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Happy for lecturing / comment and so on. I like the "learn a razor, blade, soap " idea. Cheers :)

Keithmax, Enrico, RyX and 2 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    And it's a valid point indeed.

Enrico and KenH like this.
  18. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Bingo! Should balance about an inch below the head, maybe a little less, and the total weight doesn't really matter. The shorter it is the more maneuverable it is, like a 911 versus a motorhome. And to folks who say "no pressure, let the weight of the razor do the work", I say, "Bullspit!", no pressure = no shave! Generations of happy shavers used the OLD, the New, the Tech, etc., and the handles were not heavy.

:angry019:

:p

:D

Keithmax, Enrico, RyX and 3 others like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree.

BULLY!!!

TobyC, Enrico, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Head shaving I do not do , so consideration or a different razor might be desired for that application, lots of head shavers use cartridge razors which is a lighter razor for sure.

Keithmax, RyX and jmudrick like this.