Hello All from HeartLand USA

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by BretOhio, Feb 9, 2016.

1. BretOhio

BretOhio New Member

I became interested in using a straight razor about a month ago after growing a beard. From my beard research I've noticed people talking about using straight razors, and THEN it started. I've started doing research on what I needed to know being a NEWBIE. I found myself more confused at times, but after watching a bunch of videos I've become less nervous. I got lucky, and got a great deal on a Thiers Issard that came with a strop. I am going to send it out to get honed because it's not sharp enough to remove arm hair or at least without pulling. I have a little more time before I get it back, so will do some more research and watch more videos. I'm a little nervous, and I'm sure this forum with give me more confidence.
    I can say from what I've learned that I love the fact that you can actually use something over a hundred years old and it work the same as it did then. I can see myself already falling into an addiction and starting to collect different razors from different time frame, and countries. I also like woodworking dying and stabilizing wood so can not wait to get my hands on something I can refurbish. I have a ton of leftover wood from past projects, and now I can put them to good use.
    I look forward to meeting new people and learning a new hobby. I'm excited I found this forum. Thanks to those who created it.
    Bret
    Columbus, Ohio
    THE Buckeye State

AGHisBBS, Slow Joe, chrisbd and 7 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good luck with that str8 thing. I tried it once. It was too hard for me. I love the DEs and SEs though.
    zwelcome1.jpg

AGHisBBS, chrisbd and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD Bret.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Welcome to TSD!! Good luck with your straight! Lots of guys around here using them! Ask questions and I'm sure you will get plenty of advice!

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD!

Check out www.gemstarcustoms.com . I've used the honing service and it is superb. Good luck as you learn with the new razor!

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and Jorvaljr like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Welcome and enjoy your time here . These folks are the friendliest folks around

7. RyX

RyX DoH!

welcome.png
    Glad you joined us. This is a great bunch of fellow, & a couple nice Ladies too.
    Find that search box and use it! If you don't get sufficient answers, start a thread and ask questions. I enjoy hearing folks liking vintage gear. Nothing like a hundred year old tool that thanks to new technology can shave better than when it was new.

8. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Hi from california

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi and welcome to TSD! Happy Shaving!

welcome.jpg

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome
    Are you gonna keep the beard? touch up with a straight?
    once you start whittling those facial hairs, you may lose the beard.

AGHisBBS and chrisbd like this.
  14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Bret, welcome to The Shave Den!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Welcome! I am waiting for the Post person to deliver my first straight too. I've been using a safety razor for a couple weeks, already hooked. Looking forward to a straight. I lived in Columbus many years ago, grew up in Marietta.

16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    As far as using a str8, I figured if my ancestors could figure it out, so could I. I have and I do!

AGHisBBS, chrisbd and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Hi, there Bret and :signs046:!

18. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That was my motivation to learning how to use a straight razor. Prefer the convenience of using a safety razor, but it was all worth it when my girlfriend stumbled into the bathroom one early A.M. and caught me shaving with a straight. "Wait, you actually know how to use one of those?" She found it rather sexy.

20. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

Bret,
    Welcome to TSD, a great place to learn and share experiences. Respect to anyone who hauls bare steel across their throat, it's not for me (yet).

The technique will come, hotly followed by the ADs!

Regards,
    Chris

AGHisBBS likes this.