Hello from Utah

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Mike Richards, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Mike Richards

Mike Richards New Member

I just ran across this forum recently. It looks like a great place to get information.

I re-started DE shaving about three months ago when my last electric razor died. (My first experience more than 50 years ago usually ended up with a lot of blood letting. I obviously didn't know how to use the Gillette adjustable razor and Gillette foamy shave cream.)

A friend recommended Harry's. Target carries Harry's, so I gave it a try. More importantly, he also recommended that I visit YouTube to get some hints about shaving. The first 3-pass shave with Harry's and shaving gel was better than any shave I've had for years. But, I saw that most of the videos were about DE shaving. I bought a Van Der Hagan razor at the local grocery, a "deluxe" brush, mug and soap (not quite so delux now that I know the difference). The DE razor gave me a better shave. Nick Shave said that he used a Merkur 34C, so I bought one. A Canadian video recommended an Elgin Jagger 89L, so I bought one. Someone else recommended Astra blades. So I bought some. So much for saving money! Anyway, I bought two more razors, some more blades, a few soaps. Just yesterday a $10 Razorock synthetic brush arrived (very nice, much nicer than the two Van Der Hagen boar brushes that I have).

The good thing is that I've learned to not blame the razor for poor technique or the blades for nicks or the soap for dragging the blade. I've learned that it's all up to me. I've gotten BBS shaves with all types of blades, all types of soaps and creams and with any of my five razors. It takes a bit of time and it takes a bit of concentration before the tools do their work properly.

What I'm certain of is that spending 10 to 15 minutes shaving every morning is a great way to start the day.

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! I love your intro and you are correct! Technique Trumps Tools! Sounds like you've got a nice collection started and you have found the friendliest and most willing to help bunch of guys in the shaving world on this forum! Check out the 30 Day Thread which is where we talk about technique and a whole lot of other things!

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

8. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and Welcome!

11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD, @Mike Richards . I was in Utah a few years ago-in the St. George area,doing volunteer work at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab. . Loved it there! I learned that the town of Hurricane is pronounced "Hurr-a-kin". At first, I thought our tourguide was teasing us!! But as for TSD, nice group here, and I look forward to your future posts and threads.

TobyC and sdguero like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

14. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Welcome from South Dakota. Oh... and enjoy your new addiction! We're here to enable you, my friend. ;)

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

16. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Utah!!! Do ya glow in the dark? :D Just kidding bubba, welcome to the forum! :happy088:

17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Many in the generations before us said "Hurr-a-kin", when referring to the tropical storm, even my mother.

18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Mike, welcome to The Shave Den!

20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Welcome Mike!