Hello! Newbie from the bay area!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Smooth Operator, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Active Member

I'm vegan, hehe! :pot:
    Unless you meant the crabs there have amazing personalities...:rofl:

Yehuda D likes this.
  2. Smooth Operator

I'm loving it out here. I've lived here 4 years now. I'm from Oklahoma, originally.

RaZorBurn123 and Yehuda D like this.
  3. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

That sounds good too but SF is still higher on my bucket list :eatdrink047:

Yehuda D and Smooth Operator like this.
  4. Smooth Operator

Hey, everyone! I did my first DE shave for the first time last night!!! It was a huge success! No nicks, cuts, or irritation! I'm so happy! Yaaaaay! I had TONS of area to shave too. I even shave my arms. I feel brand new & so smooth. Took a relaxing bath and I just used the sharks that came free with my razor, because my sampler hasn't arrived yet. It was intimidating at first, but as soon as I had one leg finished, I relaxed and found it actually quite straight forward. I could hear the sound of the hair being cut. I found that was quite helpful, when figuring out my angle. It also was intuitive by how it felt sliding over the skin. Couldn't be more pleased. Thank you all for your tips and tricks! I'm officially a DE safety razor shaver! Weeeee!

5. Smooth Operator

Haha! For sure!

Yehuda D likes this.
  6. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Congratulations! You are now a verified member of the DE Club! :happy096: :bounce017:

Master the DE.... then far in the future think about single edge (SE) razors like Schick injectors, or Gems. But focus on the DE for now. They provide an enjoyable experience too. Have fun! :)

7. Smooth Operator

Thanks! With an SE, is the only difference that you can't flip the razor around?

Yehuda D likes this.
  8. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Correct. The SE razor only has a single-edge for shaving, while the double-edge has two. The blades for the SE razors are entirely different than the DE blades, and SE razors are not all the same. Schick injector razors take a specific single-edge injector blade, which can be found in many drug stores and grocery stores. Gem Micromatic razors take a thicker, heavier single-edge blade which can still be found in many drug stores.

I would focus your attention on DE razors for right now working on your technique, exploring different DE blades and which ones work best for you. I was into this wet-shaving gig for about a year before I got my first SE razor. Now I love both DE and SE razors. Eventually, I want to get a straight razor but I'm still a rookie and learning so I haven't taken that dive into the deep end of the pool. You'll find that there are a whole lot of knowledgeable enthusiasts here willing to share what they know.

Smooth Operator and Linuxguile like this.
  9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

No.

With injector razors the bevel on the blade is different and the blade is thicker.

My wife didn't care for using a DE but she really likes her Lady Schick SE.

I use both and just adjust my technique as necessary.

10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Congrats! And here's to many more! :eatdrink047:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    Smooth Operator likes this.
  11. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Welcome, and congrats on your first DE shave!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome from Western Canada.

13. Smooth Operator

Hi, and thank you! :happy036:

14. Smooth Operator

Weeeee!:happy093:

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you enjoyed that; now you know why my daughter in-law took my son's Edwin Jagger Kelvin, it almost identical to it.

Smooth Operator and Dansco like this.
  16. Smooth Operator

FB_IMG_1506717671028.jpg I made my own blade magnet yesterday! The pad is a thin magnet, that I cut with pinking shears, and the kitty cat has magnetic feet, so I can use it for hands-free blade handling!

17. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

That's cool. I don't own a blade magnet... may need to get one :drool:

Linuxguile and Smooth Operator like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It looks very artistic, and a complicated way to handle a simple problem. Just take your time, and pick it up from the dull ends. With too many things thrown in , there is a good chance you will bump the sharp edge, or cut yourself. Or, you can do like my wife, get others to load the razor for you.

19. Smooth Operator

Lots of people stick their blade to a magnet.
    It's not complicated at all... It's very simple. It's a magnet... also, I don't need help/assistance loading my razor. I'm an adult. I'm not afraid of a razor blade. I've been shaving over 25 years. And, gasp! I simultaneously handle SHARP & HOT things in the kitchen daily.

Linuxguile and DaltonGang like this.
  20. Smooth Operator

Thanks! I thought it was cute, and was happy I could repurpose an old magnet for the job! It's super handy.

Linuxguile, Enrico and Dansco like this.