Help finding new scent

Discussion in 'Scents' started by cyb, Nov 18, 2017.

1. cyb

cyb Member

Hello, Den friends. It's been a while since I visited and posted, but I'm glad to be back.

I'm looking for advice on a new scent. I don't have a ton of experience with colognes, but I've enjoyed Penhaligon's scents, like Sartorial and Elixir. I also enjoyed Pinnaud Clubman for a while.

I've long been out of my Elixir and almost finished with a Sartorial bottle, and I kind of want to switch up to something new.

I'm looking for good sillage and longevity, something classy and maybe a little barbershop-like, but not too much. Maybe powdery, but not necessarily so. Something I and ladies will love. I'm open to completely different and new.

I see good reviews of L'Instant De Guerlain. There are so many others that get brought up in discussions.

I'm open to anything, including those from our friends at TSD :)

Tell me what I need to try. What is something I need in my cabinet? Thanks!

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Sacré Bleu, Crown King Aftershave/Cologne - Classic Aqua Velva Ice Blue Scent (Mentholated)
    and/or
    Sun Down, Crown King Alcohol Free Aftershave Tonic - Fresh Gillette Sun Up scent.

Both Long Lasting Classic scents.

cyb and Zykris like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

If you like Pinaud Clubman try Canoe. Similar, but different. Definitely in the barber shop groove. If you haven't yet, visit basenotes.net. For many aftershaves and colognes they have the breakdown on what's giving that scent you are seeking.

Spyder and cyb like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It sounds like you are looking for MDCI Invasion Barbare - barbershop vibe with some powder and great sillage and longevity. It does seem to get compliments plus it is not as common as L'Instant.

Spyder and cyb like this.
  5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Just a thought on "something women will love". There's no fragrance that will have universal appeal to women , because we do not all have the same preferences. If there is a specific woman you want to please, take her shopping with you. You should both smell the cologne on your skin, not just from the bottle.

cyb likes this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

The above holds very true. Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to just go and try many wet shaving items out there unless you live very close to one of their brick and mortar stores.

There are tons of scents out there, but going off your criteria metrics (sillage, longevity, classy, a little barbershop like, something you and the ladies will love...and given you have been previously drawn to penhaligons and pinaud), I have two recommendations:

1. Musgo real classic
    -it is a well known and much loved Spanish (from Spain) scent. It is offered in soap, cream, aftershave, Cologne, and various other toiletries. I truly think everyone should try it.

2. Barrister and Mann Seville
    -Barrister and Mann is quite simply the most sought after Artisan from experienced wet shavers...and with good reason. They have incredibly unique and interesting scents along with top quality items and great, presentable packaging. Seville is their nod to a barbershop scent. Classic, yet refined. A gentlemen's choice.

cyb likes this.