Help, Proraso Users...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by dmyers, Jan 12, 2010.

1. dmyers

dmyers Member

I just received my first tub of Poraso in the mail. I anticipate on using this soon as my VHD Soap is just about depleted. Poraso has a soft feel to it and the scent reminds me of Noxzema. Since the soap is packed to the top in its own tub I would think if I used my recently learned technique of soaking your brush in hot water, let it drip and than work the soap I would have soap everywhere? There would probably be soap on my brush, on my hands, on the counter top, on the floor. What is your technique, just curious?

2. AVH

AVH Member

Yep, that's what I do. But I like Proraso quite a lot, so I don't really mind to have lather all over my bathroom.

3. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Proraso is a great soap.

I don't have the problem you described. I put about a tablespoon of water on top of the soap while my brush soaks. If I'm bowl-lathering, I pour the water into my lathering bowl. When I face lather, I toss it. I give my brush a couple of good shakes, but I do not squeeze out the extra water.

Putting some pressure on the brush, I swirl in on the soap for a few seconds, pushing into the soap a couple of times.

If you lather on top of the puck, it will get a little messy. It would be simple to transfer the soap to a larger shaving mug or bowl.

That's it.

4. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

I only use Badger brushes and don't use that much water with Proraso

Just wet the brush and swirl the soap........ If more water is needed, I wet the brush a little bit more

But taken the tub into consideration, it cannot be helped that you get soap on your hands and so....... But he, the smell is GREAT :happy088

Hope this will help

5. Bobtrumpet

Bobtrumpet New Member

The method employed by the two posters above should work well. That's how I've used Proraso soap when i had some (note to self - buy more Proraso soap). Great lather and efficacy, even in hard water.

6. dmyers

dmyers Member

As always, thanks for all your replies. I will use it for the first time tomorrow, looking forward to it.

7. Empty Words

Empty Words New Member

If you're worried about lather flowing over the bowl and making a mess, try using a dryer brush. Instead of letting water drip out, give the brush a few flicks. When you work the soap, more lather will stay in the brush. You can always add more water if it's too dry.

8. tomholton1234

tomholton1234 Member

the only thing about the Proraso soaps are that they are softer than most. You may have to alter your technique.

9. TuttoItaliaOnline

TuttoItaliaOnline New Member

I use a pretty little jar in which I have the Proraso; if I don't use a very wet brush, it seems to go very well.

Attached Files:

10. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

What's that brush you're using, Eric??

Looks nice :happy088

11. AVH

AVH Member

If I'm not mistaken, he's using an Omega #48.

12. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

You're right, Alfons :happy088

I looked on his website and found a nice picture of an Omega #48.......

13. I do not use a very wet brush. I ring out the brush, then build of soap in the brush.

Once it is loaded up, i slowly add water as i build lather.

14. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm a little out-there but I stick my finger in the tub, scoop out a small dollop and put that into a bowl like a cream in a tub and lather it....

15. dmyers

dmyers Member

Thanks for all your replies... I went and used the lather bowl method and works fine. If I am short of lather due to multitude of passes I just load up the brush again and build up the lather.

16. blacdisco2000

blacdisco2000 Member

+ 1

17. TuttoItaliaOnline

TuttoItaliaOnline New Member

Sorry for not reacting sooner Rene; I probably wasn't automatically subscribed to this thread. Yep, It's an Omega 48. I use this one and the 49. Great brushes and they fit in this rather small "cream jar".

Nye,

Eric