Help with my new Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kerflop, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Kerflop

Kerflop Member

I just posted my first purchase over on the Haul thread...

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?p=207911#post207911

What I need help with is cleaning and bringing these little bad boys back to life.

First, how do I sterilze these? Can I boil the Krona (with the plastic and all)? What about the gold ones, can they be boiled?

Second, I plan on soaking in scrubbing bubbles for awhile than scrubing them with a tooth brush. Do I need to soak in Borax also? What about the gold ones, anything special I need to do for those?

Third, I read not to use Maas on gold razors so how do you polish them?

Fourth, is Maas something you can pick up at your local store?

Also, any help on identifying the razors or the brush would be great.

Thanks

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Don't boil the Krona. It will melt. Not sure about the gold.

I would stay away from Borax. I don't like the stuff and would not put it on anything I was putting on my face, even if I intended to wash it off. Trace residue and all that.

I don't know about buying Maas locally. Maybe at a jewelry store?

3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

It looks like you have two gold Techs, a brass NEW (hard from me to tell from the pictures so I could be wrong on this one), and a Korona. I've never cleaned a gold razor, so someone more experienced will give advice on that. I wouldn't boil any of these, with the possible exception of the NEW if it is very difficult to clean. Scrubbing bubbles will clean and sanatize. Maas or similar polish can shine up the Korona and NEW, but be sure to sanatize again after (Borax bath, alcohol bath, or more scrubbing bubbles). You can get Maas at most Wal Marts.

4. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

5. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

None of the Walmarts around here have Maas. But you can also find it at Walgreens and Ace hardware.

6. Kerflop

Kerflop Member

Okay, the Krona cleaned up beautiful as did the brass razor (possibly a New, but now sure)... The two techs, cleaned up well but they are not in perfect shape. Now, I think I have caught the bug and need MORE!!!!

Next project is to put a new knot into the Ever Ready brush...

7. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Those Tech Fatties make great shavers IMHO. Lots of ppl diss the techs and get all caught up in the TTO thing, but a Fattie with the right blade can shave very consistently.

Make sure you give the Fatties a proper opportunity!!

8. Mordecai

Mordecai New Member

For disinfecting or sterilizing razors, I use Barbicide. You should be able to find it at a salon/barber supply shop, maybe even WalMart or the like.

9. Corey

Corey Member

Agreed, though I'm quite a fan of the ball end Tech. A Tech with a Feather is shaving bliss.

10. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Not all tech heads are the same. But a nice NDC (no date code) tech is a wonderful thing to have in rotation. On the other hand, the later aluminum tech heads aren't worth much to me.

Unfortunately, it is much easier to find a good condition newer tech or travel tech. And so they get a bad rep because that is what so many are trying. They are probably in good condition because the original owners preferred their older techs as well!

But with that being said, a NDC tech is wonderful! I prefer the fat handle because I have larger hands and it feels better to me.

11. Kerflop

Kerflop Member

The brass one has teeth like a comb... What are the purpose of the teeth?

12. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

All this TechTalk has me going!! I wasn't sure what I was gonna shave with today. But now I do! I am going to get out this nice early 40's english ball end I have.

No date code, nice ball end handle, old heavy head (the razor weighs in at 62 gms, the heaviest Tech I have, and weighs as much as a british rocket). Thnx Etoyoc and Corey for helping me solve which razor to use today - even if that wasn't your plan.

Now, I wish I had a Feather to stick in it!! I will have to settle for an Astra. I still haven't tried Feathers - but on my todo list.