Help with razor date and vintage blade.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tuffy, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

Haven't posted or been on the forum in a while. Remodeling two bathrooms is keeping me pretty busy. My wife had told my mother-in-law about my new hobby of double edge shaving and collecting vintage razors. My mother-in-law gave her a razor to give to me. It had belonged to my wife's great uncle. My mother-in-law didn't know a lot about it other than the fact she had inherited it and believed the case was original to the razor. Based on the fit, I am assuming it is.

As far as I can tell from my online research, the razor is a Gillette Ball End Tech made between 1946-1949. The one thing that has me puzzled is the fact there is no "Gillette" etched into the top of the top plate as I have seen in my research. Either it has worn off or it is a further clue as to its age. The rest of the plating on the top looks decent, so hard to imagine it has rubbed off. I did come across an internet post on another razor forum that said the lack of the etched word was a clue as to its date as some of the ones made between 46-49 didn't have the etching, but the poster didn't elaborate. Does anyone know more about that? Any info you guys can provide on the razor is much appreciated.

I also got a box of Blue Star Double Edge razor blades. One was in the razor and three still in their wrapper in the box. Price on the box is marked as $.10! I couldn't find much about them on the internet, but did see an Ebay sale of them that didn't provide much information. I am assuming these are no longer made since I couldn't find any information. Does anyone know anything about these blades?

She also gave me some Shick double edge blades in a case. I am assuming those are not very old as I seem to recall them when I was younger. But, if anyone knows anything about the Shick blades, would love to know.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]