Helpful Idea for using the Muhle R-41..What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sunflake, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Sunflake

Sunflake Well-Known Member

You know I've been thinking about all the advice I have read on the R-41, I remember the no pressure, you need to find a blade that works, blade angle is critical, all of which is correct but I have never read anyone ever say that "Your soap/cream isn't slick enough" I occurred to me tonight having had fantastic luck with a Feather blade and then a few less than perfect shaves (Nicks and loads of irritation). I realized that the best results I had were with Tabac! Which is VERY slick and a wonderful soap. I had switched soaps several times as usual through the last 2 weeks and the results show.

It would make sense that with a increase of blade exposure i.e. aggressiveness, you also need a increase of lubrication to protect your face to keep from razor burning or nicking your face. So If your having trouble with the R-41 maybe it's not the blade it may just be the soap! I also wonder how many wonderful shaves were B/S/T away because someone tried every blade they could think of but didn't switch soaps/creams. This razor is very blade picky and may very well be just as picky with the soap/cream as well. I would love to hear from someone out there who is having a rough go with the 41 and switches soaps to something more lubricating. Because if you hit the combo right the rewards are worth taming the BEAST! Any thoughts?

alpla444, Monkeylord and macaronus like this.
  2. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Maybe adding some glycerin would "slick it up" even more :)

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

A pre-shave oil might also be helpful.

4. Sunflake

This I'm going to try the next time I use Proraso, the old formula as of now is not R-41 approved .

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Hmmmmm, you make a good point and the fact I love my R-41q could be attributed to the fact I've pretty much used Tabac of MWF for the last several months.

6. Sunflake

Might be something to think about if your 41 is biting your face.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Only this- you couldn't pay me to try an R-41, especially with a feather blade in it. I know my limits, and that's one of them. :)

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Nancy boy signature shave cream, I use it with my straights its very slick, in fact I will throw a feather in my R41 and use the Nancy boy later, I will let you know how it goes (but im pretty sure it will be great)
    I got some PIFed to me its very good not sure if its the name or the fact that its brushless that puts people off, but I think anybody with slickness issues needs to try it.

I have always had good shaves with the R41 but I find that comfort is always lacking from the shave. But I still like it as its just so effective, its always in my rotation but not as much as my other razors.

PLANofMAN and battle.munky like this.
  9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I just shaved with the Nancy boy, I tried it with a bush as it says you can, but I think its better for me brushless, 2 pass BBS with touch ups great:) seemed to be very slick

10. battle.munky

This may be the truest thing I've seen said on here. I just can't argue with the lack of effort it takes to get a BBS with this razor. I'm used to it now, so I don't even notice really, but it isn't nearly as comfortable of a shave as my 89 for instance. Now THAT is a "make you smile when you use it" razor. I've been shimming my 89 lately too-wow....all I can say :D

178-bplatoon and JRod22 like this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you on this one for sure. After reading every review,post or opinion I could find on the Mulhe R41 I have absolutely no desire to get one. Not because I fear it biting me, I use a shimmed EJ89 or a shimmed Weber both with Weber BullDog handles daily and can get BBS with no irritation,burn or nicks, so I feel my technique is sound enough. Rather I have no interest because it seemes the "LACK" of shave comfort is mentioned often. For me a super close shave without comfort isn't a good shave at all.....:) If I want an uncomfortable shave I can just use my Cadet OC.

PLANofMAN, alpla444 and battle.munky like this.
  12. battle.munky

I have to admit though that after a year with it, I am either getting comfortable shaves or just don't notice the discomfort any longer; acclimatized I suppose. I just love the way the R41 shaves me. I also see how this razor isn't for everybody and completely respect folks who choose not to try it.

alpla444 likes this.
  13. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Spot on Bob this is to razors as Derbys are to blades such a Marmite item, I never get any irritation with it post shave just not much comfort during, my skin feels great after the shave weird.

battle.munky likes this.
  14. battle.munky

Well said Dean.

15. Daryl Wilson

Daryl Wilson New Member

Believe it or not but I get perfect shaves with HOLD ON ""WILLIAMS"". The stuff is slick but I've never had a problem with lathering like some say they do YMMV also.

16. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

I get my best shaves with either" the bluebeards revenge shave cream" or MWF, my R41 has to have an astra superior in, then with plenty of face prep it's BBS all the way!!!!

alpla444 likes this.
  17. Sunflake

LOL, that what I thought as well until I ordered them together. Never tried Feather before I loaded it into the R-41. I kept thinking this could be fantastic or horrible.

PLANofMAN likes this.