Herasy or Viable Solution

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Engblom, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I stumbled upon this blog entry: https://ndoherty.com/shaving/

This blog entry is about shaving without any software, you just do a plain water shave. As I like theoretical thinking and analyzing, I thought it could be fun to throw it in here.

I divided the Pro and Cons of using soap/cream like this:

Pro soap:
    • Soap breaks the surface tension, allowing water to more easily enter the hair
    • Soap removes fat, allowing water to more easily enter the hair
    • You get more visible feedback of your shaving skills
    • You do not need to constantly apply water or to shave under the shower
    • A razor will not clog the same easily with lather
    Against soap:
    • Soap removes the protecting fat from the skin, making the shave more harsh for the skin
    • The skin will not get the same easily dry after a shave
    Considering that hair will get hydrated if you spend enough time (maybe 15 minutes) under a hot shower, the two first benefits of using soap is actually all about time saved and money saved, because a long shower is not for free. Yes. buying software might save you money!

But let's assume you do not care about time spent, nor money and you happily enjoy a shower for 15 minutes and then pull out a razor and begin shaving while still being under the shower, would the result be less good? As long as you do not wash away any fat from the skin (no soap washing of the face) I think it theoretically should be at least the same good.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

If I'm in a hurry I might shave in the shower.
    Sometimes I apply a pre-shave oil and other times I just use the hot water. I've also used the shower soap and/or shampoo for a little bit of extra cushion/glide.
    I find my preferred shower shaver is an injector. I'm not sure I've even tried a DE in the shower or why I haven't. Lately it seems my shower razor of choice is a Personna Floating Head.

The other thing I've done (if I haven't shaved in a few days) is do a few quick strokes in the shower to mow down some of the hay and then finish at the sink (with soap/cream).

I suppose if I analyzed it I'd find the better shave comes at the sink with all the software but I've certainly gotten very good shaves in the shower. Since my main reason to occasionally shower shave is a lack of time, I haven't really tried to get a great shower shave. The goal is usually just good enough to get out the door.

Keithmax likes this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While tend to shave normally 3 passes or so after a shower. My last/touchup pass for many years now, is without soap, I get close, smooth, irritation/nick free shaves. :)

Keithmax likes this.