Hoffritz

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Hoffritz as a company has always confused me. I believe they've been around since the 1930's and you see a lot of shaving related products sporting their name - from DE razor and straights to shaving brushes - but I've never understood if they actually made any of these products or if they were just a retail chain (NY based?) re-branding products made elsewhere.

20+ years ago Hoffritz came upon bad times and was bought out and changed name to "Hoffritz Cutlery / International Cutlery/Cutlery World" (it's confusing) (see article here).

A few weeks ago I picked up this Merkur MII branded Cutlery World so I guess they kept carrying shaving related products as well.
    [​IMG]

It's still a company/brand that I can't quite wrap my head around having seen it on products spanning many decades. My assumption, unless someone can correct me, is that they were just a re-branding vendor w/out their own manufacturing and that many of their products, albeit branded Hoffritz, were made

2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thats my understanding. Ive seen quite a few vintage Merkur razors rebranded with the Hoffritz logo. Simpson brushes too.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks.

4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Did you see the Hoffritz Nano Scott (Simpson) on the Bay last week? Had I not just bought a Mongoose I would have been willing to spend a lot to get it.

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah I did. It looked really nice actually, can't remember what it went for

6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

$108.50. I was out at $100

Redfisher and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

This is why I can't have nice things - I would had stopped at $55 :)

Robyflexx, Redfisher and Epimetheus like this.
  8. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

"Can't have nice things" :rofl:riiight, I have seen some of your beautiful collection.:happy102::happy097:

Others, whatever your pocket book or spouse allows is fine.

Robyflexx, Redfisher and Darkbulb like this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

The rest of the den could have nice things if you didn't have them all stored in your warehouse! :santa

Robyflexx and Darkbulb like this.
  10. Redfisher

The @Darkbulb storage facility! image.jpeg

BigMark83, RyX, Robyflexx and 4 others like this.
  11. Redfisher

12. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Warehouse #137B
    Dang, I was all, like, LOL and could not explain it to DS. (dear spouse. Changing the designation, respecting other people's dear ones.)

Redfisher likes this.
  13. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Just to confirm what others have said, Hoffritz was a high end retail chain, similar to Macys. Any Hoffritz branded razor will be a Merkur design. Ditto for the Coles branded razors.

That being said, Hoffritz did have some nice exclusives. Namely the white (milk) finished slant razors. From what I understand, it is a white nickel finish. When it oxidizes, it turns white.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Robyflexx, Jorvaljr, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  14. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I've seen these and love the look. I've been eyeing a couple. How do they shave? Would they be considered an aggressive razor? I'm in the process of negotiating for one. The vendor is willing to go down to $50. Not sure if that's a good buy. I read these are the same as the new merkur slants 37c.
    Here is the one I'm trying to get

image.jpeg

BigMark83, preidy and Robyflexx like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Fifty is a good price. I would confirm that there is no pitting or plate loss first, and make that a condition of the sale.

As for how it shaves, most people like them. I didn't, and I don't get along with slants at all. I like the concept of a slant razor though.

16. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

I'm necroposting to correct this post. The days ago I purchased a 4-piece travel slant with the white handle and it was clearly branded Merkur. So I guess the white handle wasn't a Hoffritz exclusive, although it is likely that there are no Merkur-branded 2-piece slants with white handles.
    Just fyi. I had never seen one of these before. And by the way, it is an incredible shaver, although I used it with a UFO handle.

PLANofMAN likes this.