Horrible Quality Control on a Fatip

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shave Fu, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

I had a similar issue with my gunmetal Grande and apparently it's a common problem with the gunmetal version, I've heard it's due to the nickel plating. Mine did it using the Maca Root shaving cream so it's possible Proraso could do it as well. However, I really like the shave from it, it is aggressive buy not r41 aggressive IMHO. I then got Gentile in chrome and not had any plating issues with that but can be a pain getting the blade even though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Shave Fu and RyX like this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I must have a lucky star sign for Fatips; very happy with the two I own. But of course, that is a sample size of two.

3. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I have a Weishi also but I don't really use it so often because I find it doesn't give me such close shaves. My beard is very tough and no matter which blade I use with it I don't get the desired results unless I do at least 6 passes! lollll

Shave Fu likes this.
  4. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I hope you weren't trying to use Derby on the Weishi! :happy097: I think i am an "easy customer". I think, that anything that isn't too dull or too sharp, will work with me. Because, i have tough individual hair, but light to intermediate density beard, plus smooth, oily skin that helps the blade to glide even if there is no lather.

I see the situation like this: You have to go into the forest and cut down the trees. And let's say you have to do this with a "blade bulldozer".
    - The smoothest the terrain, the easier to drive the bulldozer and the more speed the vehicle can maintain, to give the best push.
    - Tougher trees and thicker forest = harder to bring them down, you might need more powerful bulldozer (Feather).

In this comparison, in my case, the only really problem for the bulldozer is the "tougher trees". Now, 99% of men, if you ask them, they will tell they have "tough beard" and maybe 90% they will say they have "dense beard". This is not really the case and has to do with perception and lack of possibility to compare (how many men's beards have you touched thoroughly to compare how tough they are to yours...plus beard density can fool into thinking that individual hair is tough, while in reality it's the big number of hair that gives a tactile perception of toughness). This, i was explained, when i was a teenager, by my barber who would nick me with a shavette. He told me "buddy, you have tough beard hair!". So i am "barber certified" about that. And explained me the rest, i just said, in the 2 previous lines. I also kind of remember that there is at least 1 gene that determines beard density, inherited with mendelian way (half influence for mother, half from father, equal expression), which result to roughly estimated "high, intermediate, light" density beard types. But, that was many years ago, i don't remember the details. So, in my case, the blade's only real problem, is the individual tree toughness, cause the "forest" is normal. Which is also a reason of why Derby fails so miserably on me, since by pure luck, my beard hair is my only tough hair. My body hair is much softer, i bet if i were body shaver, Derby would work miracles. Alas, i am not. This is also why i avoid supersharp blades, because these are very powerful bulldozers that may cause you to overshoot the "forest" and end up inside your house, demolishing the wall. :D

With Weishi + Derby, i probably do something like 15 passes...Because it can't cut...With other blades, it's another story. I would also say that "very dense forest" = bad for Weishi, because it may clog it quickly. I try to rinse the Weishi very often in hot water and performs very well. Just not with Derby.

Now, the worst scenario, would be "toughest trees in a jungle". Don't bring neither the Weishi nor the Derby in there. I think the various combinations of variables, plus the bulldozer's characteristics, is why they make so many YMMV results.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    crackstar likes this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Heh. I don't have an exceptionally tough beard. Redhead genes. Now, if I was to try to shave the REST of me...

Frankly, or even Saxonly, even if you have a tough beard, if you shave reasonably frequently, a Weishi or SuperSpeed will _still_ work well. You're lopping off small pieces, rather than huge chunks. It just seems that there are a lot of people here that have difficulty with daily shaving, and go at least one, and sometimes two, days between shaves.

crackstar and Shave Fu like this.
  6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I've got a lot of body hair also. The so-called "Mediterranean" hairiness with swarthy coloring, black hair, and black eyes. My beard hair is also very dark-colored in addition to thick and dense. I've tried Derbys as well as many other blade brands in the Weishi but unless I did multiple passes I just couldn't get a good shave.

Shave Fu likes this.
  7. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Exactly. The Weishi cuts, but doesn't cut much at once. I shave every 2 days and works fine with me. And i don't mind if i do some repasses in chin, moustache areas, that are harder to cut. It's just that with Derby it requires so many passes that it becomes a tedious operation, because the damn thing can't cut. I 've read many "sharpness classifications" by users and i am astonished each time i see them classify the Shark SS and even more the Dorco ST301 below the Derby. I mean, i don't know what's happening, but to me the Derby is just way down. But the beard types and razors used, are probably the reasons, as well as cutting techniques. I just know that i have the same technique with all blades, the Weishi likes very shallow angle and the Derby can't hold a candle to the Dorco and the Shark is sharper too. Maybe if i shaved every day, i could have better results with Derby too,but i just have the habbit to shave every 2 and i don't see why change it to fit Derby.

Well, i think that at the end, there are so many factors, that the YMMV rules supreme. Which is why i concluded that one must see the matter as a statistics problem and resort to a gaussian curve, like i posted in another thread... All i can say about the Weishi that works for me is: Use very shallow angle, don't use Derby, rinse in hot water often, to avoid clogging. That works well for me, with any blade so far, except the Derby.

I still have to try Israeli Reds and Supermax super stainless (coming probably tomorrow). And i have an itch to order Trigs Silver Edge, cause i just found them for 10 EUR for 200 blades in another store, from where i could also order a small number of Voshkods and other russian blades, which would increase the expenditure to justify paying 9 EUR in shipping. I just can't find much info on Trigs. If they are Derby dull, they are of no use to me. Neither if they are supersharp. It would be nice to have many blades to rotate. So, i am googling (if anyone has an opinion on Trigs, please post). If they all work on me, what can i say...Derped by Derby.

I also find some people doing some crazy sharpness classifications, putting like the Bluebirds way above Derby as sharpness and i can't explain it. I almost want to open my Bluebird pack just to see, but i doubt Derby would bother to make another blade. Interestingly though, i found in the same shop that sells the Trigs, 100 Bluebirds, for 4.80 EUR. I guess, this is where you say "you get what you pay for". :rofl: Needless to say, when i see "Amzusebat" (or whatever that factory name is), i run like the wind.:scared007:

EDIT: I just noticed that they don't have yet neither trigs nor Voshkods. They are "on arrival".

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Very good Sir, I am a Lower Saxon, and proud of it