How close of a shave should I strive for?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Yossarian04, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

I'm new at DE shaving as I've already mentioned before. I read some guides that say to only shave WTG. They also mention that it won't give as close of a shave but is better for your skin. That's kind of a no brainer.

But then I watch videos of people doing 4 passes in multiple directions and saying how close or bbs the shave is.

As a newbie, should I strive for a super close shave? Close to the point where I can feel no stubble when running my hand on my face against the grain?

I enjoy my shaves but I still feel pretty scratchy when I run my hand on my face.

B

2. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Three passes:

1) with the grain (wtg)
    2) across the grain (xtg)
    3) against the grain (atg)

If you can't get a BBS or at least a dfs shave with this approach, you need to work on your technique.

3. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im newer and from the beginning ive done wtg and atg. Xtg I always seem to screw up on so I stopped trying for now.

The number of passes needs to be determinded by your wishes and skill level. I get a very smooth shave with my 2.5ish pass shave but there are a few spots I've more or less come to accept wont be bbs but if I push the issue I will end up chewing my face up with too many passes.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Tiredricefarmer and RyX like this.
  4. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I used to do the three pass method. WTG, XTG, ATG. But I've found that my skin doesn't tolerate it very well. So now I do WTG, XTG, XTG and that works better. It's trial and error first starting out but once you find your groove, it's all good.

Tiredricefarmer and Kaladin like this.
  5. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

I do 2 passes on my cheeks and 3 on my neck. 1st pass - South; 2nd - North; 3rd pass on the neck is ATG, which for me is a 45 deg angle from jaw to Adam's apple. I think you just have to find what works for you.

RyX, Kaladin and Zykris like this.
  6. Kaladin

Kaladin Active Member

In my experience, it takes some time as well as experimentation to find the right way. For myself, I go one pass WTG, then XTG on my cheeks and occasionally ATG. Thing is, the ATG on my neck always leaves some redness. Going XTG on my neck is even worse. I've tried several different razors, different blades, different soaps, pre-shave routines, shaving techniques, etc. I hope to find the best way to get a close shave on my neck, for me, but it is still a work in progress, even over a year in wet shaving.

I think technique is the big part here, as well as coming to know your face. I actually enjoy the experimentation, though the results aren't always pretty. If I had a rough day before I just go lightly the next few days. All told, YMMV, depending on the face, technique, experience, etc. Every time I've shaved to the point where I've gotten that true BBS, where I feel no stubble at all, it comes at the expense of redness, nicks, and irritation. Different folks, different experiences.

RyX and Zykris like this.
  7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

In the beginning, strive for comfort not closeness. If a WTG is comfortable, keep going. Learning how your hair grows, and maintaining proper angle is very important.

8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I always strive for BBS. Don't always get it, but I know my limits. A darn fine shave (DFS) with no irritation beats BBS with burn every time. I'm good with DFS or CCS (close comfortable shave).

DON'T CHASE THE BABY. Improve your technique and the baby will come to you, sans irritation.

Tiredricefarmer, Kaladin, RyX and 2 others like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

+1 Go for a comfortable shave and as your skill level improves so will the comfort and closeness of the shaves.

RaZorBurn123, RyX and dustmite like this.
  10. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

How close of a shave were you getting before using the DE, and how comfortable was it?

11. Yossarian04

For a long time I just let my facial hair grow, so I wasn't shaving very much. I could get a pretty close shave using a 4 blade cartridge razor, but I'd usually end up with razor burn and cuts when going ATG. DE shaving has been much more pleasant.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You shouldn't focus on results. Focus on your technique. Results will change as you improve.

If you look clean shaven, you are.

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Everybody is different on how they shave and I did start out on three passes, WTG, XTG and ATG. But eventually I went to two passes, WTG and a combination of XTG and ATG for my second pass. I got less irritation as I only needed XTG on certain areas and then touch up as needed.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Two passes and touch ups with cold water. Don't chase the baby. He will come to you.
    zBABY.jpg

Tiredricefarmer and RetLEO-07 like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Solid advice, I wished I had followed this when I was starting.

dustmite likes this.
  16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

However close you can shave without irritation, nicks and weepers.

17. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Cutting yourself and razor burn is a lot like crashing a race car. Do you want to make good track times but crash the car once or twice or would you rather drive the car correctly and not crash but slowly build your skill over time? You will get there and BBS will come. Keep in mind most folks can feel a touch stubble that can't be seen for many hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BigMark83 likes this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1

19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

When I started this thing of ours, I did the "traditional" three pass shave. With improved technique I'm down to 2.5(if you've seen my posts in the 30DC you'd know that). WTG on the first pass. The second is XTG on the cheeks and chin, with ATG on the neck. The half pass is XTG on my neck, with some J hooking on the lower right. Most times depending on the blade/razor combo and where we are in the shave week I get either a BBS or DFS(sometimes + or near BBS). I never seek out the above, but they come to call more often than not nowadays. At worst, I get a very acceptable Work Week Shave(WWS). I shave everyday for work so the odds are with me.

Terry Williams likes this.
  20. Yossarian04

So I changed things up a little today. I looked at my facial hair and noticed that the trouble areas (cheek) grow in a sort of diagonal pattern. I did WTG, XTG from mouth towards ear, and then a sort of diagonal pass in the same direction. I then did the Nick Shaves approach and felt around for areas to touch up and used the remaining lather from the brush for these areas. In the end it was almost bbs. I'd say it was a damn fine shave though. I think I need to learn my face more and also focus on keeping a good angle. The wife said my face is smoother than hers, so that's a win.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017