How come many of the old S/E razors...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by omegapd, Feb 28, 2009.

1. omegapd

omegapd New Member

look the same? I have two- the Gem and Star and see Ever Ready quite a bit on Ebay, etc. Other than different handles, the heads look extremely similar and of course, open the same way. Did they not patent designs back then or did they all come from the same maker and were just re-branded under different names?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm curious as to the reason...

Thanks,

EW

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My understanding is that Most were bought by the same company in the end,, Maybe had some kind of licensing agrement for others to build.. I do not really know
    Fuzzy

3. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I was under the understanding that the guy that started Kampfe then started Star, left them and started Gem, then left and started Ever Ready.... or maybe he didn't actually leave them, but just kept starting these different companies...something like that.

I'm probably way off base. I'm sure Dave or Guido will be around shortly. Bryce, too, he's pretty knowledgeable on the SEs, too.

EDIT: something to keep in mind, too, is that the handle will change how it shaves. But I think you've already discovered that. :)

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think that may be right Matt. I know they all ended up going out of business or being bought out in the end. Be intresting to hear the whole story here soon

Fuzzy

5. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

lots of copying or they were under different names.

6. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Looks like you're on target. I just read this on the ASR webpage:

The Personna American Safety Razor Company has been in business for over 125 years.

The Company traces its origins to Brooklyn, New York, where in 1875 the Kampfe Brothers introduced the Star, the first safety razor manufactured in the United States.

In 1906, the several businesses begun by the Kampfes and their workers were consolidated as American Safety Razor Company.

7. tom myers

tom myers Member

That is correct, when most of the razors you are seeing were made, all these brands belonged to ASR and they made many of the models, such as the 1912, under all the brands. For an example, note this picture of the fat handled 1912's.

Regards,
    Tom

Attached Files:

8. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Nice pic. Now, there's 2 more I can look for now to add to the collection. :D

Thanks,

EW