How do you feel about comb style DE razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by doragar, Oct 27, 2010.

1. doragar

doragar New Member

I am relatively new to the DE community and I am loving it. But, the choice of tools and styles is a little overwhelming. Could someone fill me in on the advantages of these razors from personal experience.

I am looking at adding to my ever growing collection and would happily add one of these razors if I felt it could benefit me.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Open comb razors are better at removing a large amount of growth. Otherwise, I find it simply varies razor to razor. I personally don't think an open comb vs. gaurd bar is a significant issue. Open comb razors do trend toward being more aggressive, but that's by no means an absolute.

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I know that it really isn't answering your question, but the advantage for me is that I like how they shave. I get a nice comfortable easy shave and enjoy using them. They do work better for me on my mess of a neck.

Open comb razors range from mild (good fella, merkur 11c) to evil (Micromatic OC). My favorite is the Gillette Old Type. You can often find well experienced versions for only a few bucks. They aren't much to look at normally, but the ones I have tried shaved well.

Give one a try. You will never know if you like it or not until you do.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Yup... what was said above.

If you have a lot of beard to remove, OC razors don't clog up as much and do a better job. If you shave daily, there isn't really an advantage. Some are milder, some are more aggressive. In general, these razors are more aggressive than safety bar razors. However, that is not always true. It comes down to what was just said above - is it more comfortable for you. Some of us prefer them, and some don't.

5. I have a Gillette NEW Type with the thick bar handle that I want to get cleaned up so that I can give it a test drive. Really looking forward to it!

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

+1. There are those who will say OC (open comb) razors are more aggressive. Truth is I have razors with bars that are more aggressive than some of my OCs. Like Erik said, it varies razor to razor regardless of the OC or not. You just gotta try 'em for yourself.

7. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I can't say the OC razors are more aggressive for me...
    I just do not like them, they are not for me.

I do not like the way the teeth feel on my skin,
    Perhaps my skin is too thin.

I do not like the little tracks they make in the lather on my face,
    I do not like them in any case.

My former OC razors include: Gillette, MMOC, Hoffritz, plus Conrad,
    Are now part of some other person's RAD.

I do not like the open comb,
    Guard bars are what I own.

Your mileage may vary,
    Either way, your face is less hairy.

8. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Right on. My experience as well.

Len

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

ummmm how can there be little tracks left on the face if there is a blade in the razor?????

But as to OC razors. It is all preference in my thinking. I have some I like some that I don't. The are great for extra growth but also for everyday shaving with proper technique.

10. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Dr. Seuss's lesser known "The cat in the hat got brave for a shave"

(good job, btw :D)

11. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I have a dream, where closed comb, and open comb, razors can shave in harmony, without being questioned of their "aggressive tendencies" :D

yadda yadda yadda, etc etc etc, +1 +1 +1, et al, et al, et al, and stuff to above

I happen to love my open comb razors, but it took me awhile to get up the gumption to try it. It's really not as intimidating as they seem, but they're darn fine shavers.

The theory is with less "razor" between your face and the blade, the closer it can cut. But in reality, the blade is really no closer than with a full bar, because there's still the "teeth" of the razor that keep the blade the same distance away.

But, I do find that there is much less clogging with my OC razors, and I do get smoother shaves, and from blades I can't use in non-OC razors, so there is definitely a difference.

But, whether or not that difference applies to you....well, no one can tell you that for you, unfortunately, 'tis a very YMMV thing

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well done Jeff!

13. stingraysrock

I dunno, but it happened! My face looked like a corn field! It happened with the Conrad, The Gillette and The Hoffritz. I probably was not doing it right. In either case, I do not have a thick growth which seems to me would be a better option for the OC. My hairs resemble sutures though and they are just as wiry.

14. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

I love the New open comb. I have a pretty thick beard and it works well. I had the track issues too but had to give the razor more angle and found the sweet spot.

15. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I have read that the tracks indicate you are not holding the razor at the optimum shaving/cutting angle. That is consistent with my personal experience.

--james

16. stingraysrock

And thus my dislike for OC's. I use the guard bar to stretch my skin for me. It works for me.

17. Steve Mack

Steve Mack Member

90% of my shaves are with my OC Gillette New. I love the way it holds lather in the gaps that can be re-applied with an opposite stroke. I do my side burn area WTG and ATG in short multiple back and forth strokes and get no nicks or irritation. I also like to imagine my father and grandfather using this razor in the 1930's. The only down side is blade changing is a little clumsy with this razor but that might just be me.

18. carloverfast2

carloverfast2 New Member

i enjoy open combs mostly. they provide easier shaves and allow for the cream to stay on the face for longer.

19. paydepst

paydepst Member

When I use a DE I tend to prefer an open comb as well for the reasons cited above.

20. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

You're off you meds aren't you? :happy102