How do you feel about comb style DE razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by doragar, Oct 27, 2010.

1. newb

newb Resident Newb

+1:happy096 But I think the 1930's OC gillette New is one of the best razors I've ever used.

2. shaveslave

shaveslave Member

i've used the gillette open combs, including the tto open combs, except for the new improved; so i'd like to know how do the modern razors like the ej/muehle or merkur models compare to the gillette open combs?

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I currently have 3 open comb vintage Gillettes in rotation, an Old type, a Long Tooth NEW, and a Sheraton. I also have a Merkur 11c, the open comb version of the HD. I find the Merkur to be more mild then the vintage Gillette razors. It reminds me of a tech, you can get a good shave from it, but it takes a good amount of effort.

Out of all my razors, I've been reaching for the Old Type the most.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Yeah, wither that, or I am blinded by a Rolls. I am going to try the skin stretch tomorrow. I hope that is the magic bullet.

5. imabel2

imabel2 New Member

Skin Stretch

Back in the 50's my grandfather taught me to shave with a straight razor prior to joining the Marines. He taught me to stretch the skin tight with my free hand (the one not holding the razor)-(joke), because straights do not have bars or combs. He informed me the only reason for bars and combs where to enable the shaver to keep the razor flat against his face to avoid nicks and cuts. He claimed a straight user did not have that problem as he always knew when the razor was not flat because it bit him/her. I have always used this technique in the last 55+ years of shaving and it usually means a nick and weeper free shave with very little or no irratation. Just a thought and YMMV with technique.

Good shaving!
    Mike

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Heh! Whatta kick going back and seeing my older responses.

I am still not a fan of OC, BUT, I did acquire a Gillette NEW and it works fine for me, because I remembered this thread and understood my angles were wrong and that was why I was getting the corn row tracks in my lather.

But, now I am on a straights kick so the DE's are taking a back seat for a bit.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I prefer OC wherever possible. Had Schick done an OC injector the world would have blown up from the sheer manliness of it.

8. Strohman

Strohman Member

I have tried a couple of older Gillette open comb razors, and I really like them. I didn't find them to be overly aggressive, but every razor is different. I really want to try a Muhle Open Comb, and eventually when I find a used one, I will.
    I think they are just beautiful razors! Unfortunately, I have way too many razors to justify buying a new one.

I agree that you can find a nice old type for a fair price. It's worth a small investment to try it out, then you will know whether you like it or not.

9. PanchoVilla

PanchoVilla New Member

Having been introduced to shaving, by my father using a str8, many, many years ago; I don't understand how anyone can claim that any DE can be aggressive. Having said that, some are more aggressive than others. OCs simply allow for a more efficient shave (including blade buffing). The only bar razor I use is the Mergress. And they're certainly harder to clean up, even rinse during the shave. I believe the bar was invented because there were too many not willing to learn a good technique. JMHO:happy088

eta: The Gillette 'Old Type' is the best DE implement ever devised by man. -General G. Patton, I think.:happy102

10. imabel2

imabel2 New Member

Open comb only

I am now exclusively using open comb razors. My newly acquired Ikon was added today to go with my Muhle R41, Gillette new short comb, Gillette old, and soon to arrive a Bob's razor work new head w/bull mastiff handle. I like the way they shave but you need to have patients and technique with some of the Open comb razors.
    Mike

11. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I love my Gillette Old. I'm not quite so sure about my OC slant German Bakelite, supposedly WWII issue razor. I think it has blade positioning/exposure issues.
    I want to get an OC Ikon, Muhle, Merkur, MM, and whatever other OC razors I can.