How do you know when to replace a brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Matt0210, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, how do you know when a brush has reached the end of its life? I know most of you have a few, if not, dozens of brushes but I only have 2 and don't plan on buying anymore.

RyX, RaZorBurn123 and Jayaruh like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Either:
    A) It starts to shed at a rate faster than you're comfortable with
    2) It fails to perform the way you want it to with either:
    III) how it lathers
    Fourth) how it feels on the face

Screwtape, RyX, Primotenore and 3 others like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

On a related note, if the bristles are shot and you love the handle, replacement isn't your only choice. You can re-knot it.

Screwtape, RyX, Primotenore and 5 others like this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

On another related note... assuming a quality brush and half-decent treatment from its owner, replacement will be more of a question for your son or possibly grandson. Do not believe the Art of Shaving nonsense that brushes need to be replace every couple years.

If you have hard water, you may get build up on your brush that makes it perform or feel not as nice. A simple soak in a borax solution and warm water will remove the scale (hard water build up) and make your brush like new again.

Screwtape, RyX, RaZorBurn123 and 5 others like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    They all beat me to it. You can go a long way with two brushes. If you get the SBAD, you will be checking out all the different kinds of brushes. Try to resist for now. When you tire of using the two brushes you have, then you can branch out.

Screwtape, Matt0210 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Just out of curiosity what two brushes do you own?

RyX and Matt0210 like this.
  7. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Active Member

+1. I would also be interested.
    All I have at the moment is an Omega 49 boar. A lovely starter brush but I am already looking forward to trying something else like a silvertip or even synthetic

8. RaZorBurn123

You picked a great starter brush, I agree with you, I think once you try the new synthetic knots you might get hooked. Check out Italian Barber they have a number of great brushes at unbelievable prices.

Matt0210 likes this.
  9. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Active Member

Thank you for your advice, I will look them up now.

Matt0210 likes this.
  10. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I have an Omega Boar 10066 and a RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic.

PanChango, Screwtape and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  11. RaZorBurn123

Well.. You have two really good brushes.

Matt0210 and Screwtape like this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

On this subject. I have an old Ever-Ready 150 with the original boar knot. I obtained it thinking the handle could be harvested into a nice restore project. I washed it, and almost as a second thought, used it.
    Ugly as it is, it always makes great lather and feels nicely exfoliating on my face. I happily left it as is, and use it often.
    I guess my point is, ugly doesn't mean non-functional. If you have one, try it before you yank the knot. 20170320_092000_resized.jpg 20170301_095210_resized.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  13. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

What's the definition of "enabler" again? ;)

Matt0210 and lightcs1776 like this.
  14. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

About the only certain proof that your brush needs replacement is if, when you use it, you find yourself scrubbing your face with the base of the handle and/or the glue bump -- because the bristles are worn down to the nub. Anything else is really a case of user preference.

BTW I reknotted three secondhand brushes and threw out one that were all actually near that point. In the 1920s to 1950s when people were careful with spending money and eked out, reused, or recycled everything possible, shaving brushes got used long and hard -- as in, one brush at a time, used daily, often for decades.

@david of central florida just showed a perfect example: that brush probably had ten to twenty years of daily use on it and still has more life in the bristles. I had one like that but had to reknot it, because the bristles had become too brittle with age after sitting dry and unused for a few decades, and they started breaking off when I tried to use the brush. The other ones I reknotted had knots that were either worn down to the length of a toothbrush or else had lost so hairs they were too "bald" to pick up a load of soap.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    mrchick and Matt0210 like this.
  15. Eiklj

Eiklj Member

I have passed up many brushes in antique stores because the knot looked ugly. Should i be buying these even though they look so-so? I'd like to have a collection of brushes eventually. Is this a good way to start?

Screwtape, mrchick and Matt0210 like this.
  16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

It's certainly one way to start. Some of those ugly old knots may be much better looking and possibly usable after a thorough cleaning. (Soaking rinse in warm water, followed by latherings with Dawn dish detergent and a soaking in a weak vinegar solution, all interspersed with more rinses.).

On the other hand, some ugly old knots are just ugly, old, worn out knots that no amount of cleaning will fix.

Again, if you are into handwork, a solid old handle can be cleaned, buffed and polished until it gleams like new and those ragged old bristles replaced with a brand-new knot of boar, badger or the modern synthetics.

If you don't plan to get into brush restoration, on the other hand, then it is probably best to wait to find vintage brushes in excellent condition. Otherwise, you simply find yourself with a collection of ugly, wrecky old brushes...

Matt0210, RetLEO-07 and mrchick like this.
  17. Eiklj

Eiklj Member

I wouldn't mind adding a few to my collection of shaving paraphernalia. Do i just look for plastic that's in good condition, no cracks or splits? And ignore the condition of the brush?
    I seen some at an antique store this weekend that the handles were made of a hard rubber. The handles were not in bad shape but the brushes were worn and shedding. They were like $5 each but i didn't get them because i don't know much about brushes.
    There was an Old Spice mug and brush i probably should've picked up but didn't. I can go back later.
    I just try to read as much as i can here on TSD so i'm more edumacated when i go to antique stores and the like.
    Thanks for the advice.

Matt0210 likes this.
  18. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0273.JPG
    My current go to brushes. Omega 10098(Boar) on the left, Omega 6212(Silvertip) on the right. I also have a Parker Silvertip that is on hiatus. As you can see neither is in any danger of needing replacement. I'm figuring my boys will be trying to figure out what to do with 'em after I've crossed over the bar

Matt0210 likes this.