How light is too light for you?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bristle Me, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I'm taking part in the Yuma Razor go Round this month, and one of the most notable things
    about that razor is it's decided lack of heft. I mean, it's thin, and it's light.
    Although this is pretty big change from what I'm used to shaving with, it hasn't been as much of a problem as I first thought it would be. Maybe it's because before I shaved with the Yuma, I'd had a bit of experience with the Merkur 45. You know, that "bakelite" (plastic) red and black thing? It's super light too, and I really didn't think I would make it past shave # 2 with it, but I was wrong. Once I got the angle down, I found the light weight rather nice. Instead of just "ride and guide", I had to control the whole show. After a few shaves, it was becoming habit, and I wasn't missing that weight at all.

So, now I'm wondering. I know many of us change razors often, but do your favorites tend toward the lighter side?
    Maybe a medium weight cruiser is more your thing?
    Could it be that you are one of those guys with a testosterone count that hovers above 26,000/ppm and you've even paid extra for the Godzilla like 5 inch long stainless steel behemoth with knurling cut so deep you could use it to grind up a hanging beef?

If you like a heavy razor, have you ever tried a really, really light one?
    What part of your shave did it mess with?
    What razor in your den is about as light as you care to shave with?

If you favor a lighter razor, what is the heaviest razor you've ever shaved with?
    Does a heavy weight slow you down, or do you just not like holding up a half pound of steel for that long?
    What is the heaviest razor you have as a regular in your den?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    dscaver likes this.
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I don't like really heavy razors. I'd bout a Utopia to get the 4lb handle, and ditched it after using it for about a week. Light doesn't bother me. I prefer a medium weight regular razor, but my English Tech is really light, and I had a plastic DE (a Gillette Rubie type) and I never felt it was too light.

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I'll stick with my Gillette adjustables. Out of the three, FB, Slim, and Black Beauty short handle, the Black Beauty is the lightest, even with the all metal head. I let the razor do the work with a Feather blade, but the Black Beauty needs a little pressure to get the job done. I also hold the handle out toward the end to keep me from pushing the razor into my face. I use my other razors but not as often as they are too light.

Bristle Me likes this.
  4. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Personally, I prefer a heftier razor such as my two principal ones, Webe DLC (stainless steel) and an Ikon Shavecraft 102 Slant. I really enjoy the weight and substance. If these two were lighter razors, I would love to compare them to their current state.
    Nonetheless, once your technique is good enough, you should be able to shave with almost any razor, in general, without much trouble.
    Good luck with the Yuma!

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I like heavier and bigger razors.
    The lightest I have is probably an all-bakelite Neillite razor. Not any metal on it.
    I rather dislike shaving with it because of how light it is.
    I miss the feeling of something solid and substantial.
    It can too easily move around in my hand and I need to re-adjust my grip - something that doesn't happen with a heavier handle.
    I need to actually apply a bit of pressure - also something that I often don't have to with a heaver razor.

In the end it's comfort for me - I feel that a larger/heavier handle/razor is more comfortable to hold - because of that I enjoy the shave more - because of that my shave is better.

6. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

I prefer a weight about where my Super Speed is at. I have heavier razors and lighter razors, and I enjoy them all. But if I had to choose a specific target weight, that would be it.

Bristle Me likes this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I use big hefty heavy razors, mostly because of my BRW handles. I've found that with a heavy razor there's less chance of the razor slipping or moving inadvertently during a shave because it helps steady my hand.

Bristle Me likes this.
  8. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I like middle weights (90-100g), but my RR Slant is 45g. I really enjoy it. I never get irritation and have only nicked myself once. I realize that this can not all be attributed to weight. It has definitely opened my eyes.

Bristle Me likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:signs011: ...plus throw in a few custom handles (heavier such as the Ikon Bulldog 2- see 2nd pic) & I'm a happy camper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shotwell, Bristle Me and Darkbulb like this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wow, that last one looks amazing. What head is that on the ikon handle?

11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The dreaded FaTip...;)

[​IMG]

Bristle Me and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You did a swell job photoshopping out all the blood stains :)

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Go big or go home.... :D
    [​IMG]

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think that's called "compensating" :)

fram773 and Bristle Me like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I guess I prefer mid/average weight razors but one of the best shavers I ever had (which I usually realize after I part with one) was the Silver Star aluminum. The Neillite 400 was also very good but too aggressive for me at the time.

Bristle Me likes this.
  16. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Bristle Me likes this.
  17. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

I actually love the heavy handled razors... Namely, my Utopia/Maggard handle and my Maggard MR6B. In fact, their MR8 whopper is on my Secret Santa wish list. I think if you attached a head to a crowbar, I'd shave with it.

That said, I do like my light weight and middle weight razors. My vintage Grafco/Merkur is quite light and I love it. I think you can shave with almost anything if your technique is good.

ObiDon and Bristle Me like this.
  18. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I prefer the feel of a heavier razor in my hand and lately that has been an R41 with a utopia handle. My lightest is probably the Merkur 33c with it's hollow handle, which I don't mind shaving with, but it just doesn't feel the same.

ObiDon and Bristle Me like this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Gem Featherweight. I PIF'ed it. Just too light.

Funny, but my 2 inch Travel Tech no issues.

Bristle Me likes this.
  20. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Interesting!

This is what got me curious about light razors again.
    I understand it's all aluminum, and it's very well made.
    Not sure I want to plunk down major $$$$ for one,
    but I am interested.

The Standard Razor.

By-kpDqCAAEtwRk.jpg