How long does your wet shave take?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Razor Blade 79, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 New Member

Depends on what someone is looking for and of course their version of an acceptable shave. I see some times on here and there is no way some of these folks are getting a legitimate BBS. But I suppose that was not what the question was. Moreover a BBS to person "A" might still be a cat's tongue to person "B". There is no way people are getting a legit BBS shave with two passes or even three passes. I don't care who you are the wild card here is the neck hair. It grows in different angles on everyone. The person saying they get a BBS in 10 mins with two or three passes I guarantee you has sand paper somewhere in the neck up region up.

If I do three passes and whatever is, is whatever is, 15 mins. If I do as many passes needs to really have that true BBS and that is feeling around to see if there is any lone rangers still out there, 25-30 mins

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And you're out there feeling faces to see if they're lying?
    Hey, if someones says they got a BBS shave, who am I to argue? BBS to them is BBS to them. It's their shave. Let them enjoy it their way.

fram773 likes this.
  3. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 New Member

Don't cut part of the post off if you are going to start quoting. I started the whole post off by saying to each their own on an acceptable shave and even said it in different ways. Period. If someone takes 10 mins to get an acceptable shave in their own mind, good for them. I was pointing out how improbable someone could get a true BBS in ten mins or just two passes etc etc. What I did NOT say is that they can't enjoy their shave no matter what is happening. Not sure how my post could have been taken as such. Thanks

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

With the right razor (Muhle R41, 2011) and the right blade (Feather or Personna med), I can and do consistently get a true BBS shave (no sandpaper spots!) in two passes—WTG and XTG—no third pass necessary.
    I'm blessed to have fairly light beard growth (thanks in part to my Native American bloodlines ;)) and with both good prep and thorough technique, my face doesn't usually require a 3rd or 4th pass most mornings for what I would call an acceptable shave.
    I havent gotten a true BBS yet with a straight razor alone—but this has more to do with still-developing technique in using one.
    If so, please knock! I hate being surprised while dragging a straight across my throat! :D

fram773 likes this.
  5. swarden43

I was addressing your statement as fact that there is no way a person can get a legit BBS. As it was a statement as fact, I was only questioning your fact gathering procedures.

6. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 New Member

I'm sorry but I just don't see how someone can do a two pass shave and not have sand paper spots here and there. No matter the equipment two lone passes to get a BBS? Acceptable shave is a different animal. Some people can do a one pass and that be suffice. But zero spots from the neck up on two passes? We would have to be talking about the perfect human with either straight up or straight down hair growth. :eatdrink047:

7. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

On mornings when I go to work, which is only a couple days a week, at 6:00 AM. Insane, I know! I perform a one pass shave with my most aggressive razor. ATG all the way for a SAS. Takes 5 to 10 minutes. When I have time I still do not strive for a BBS shave, perfectly happy with a DFS. And that will take about 15 minutes.

Dave

8. swarden43

I've heard folks claim BBS after one pass. Again, who am I to argue? I don't ask them to prove it and I don't question it. And I will not call someone a liar.

ajdhn likes this.
  9. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Average here about 15-20 minutes. Add a shower and I'm close to 30 minutes tops.

If I hurry I can cut maybe 5 minutes, so I don't think that's much time saved.

10. swarden43

Is it really good form to use the word "cut" on a shaving forum? ;)

11. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yes! Because that's usually what I end up with when I hurry too much :)

12. KingColliwog

KingColliwog New Member

I'm still new to this, but with the prep and clean up included I'm somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes depending on if I do 2 or 3 passes.

13. HUF

HUF Active Member

Three passes in 25 minutes +/-5. It used to be 10-15 minutes when I was using canned foams and BIC disposables.

14. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

Now would that be 6 - 20+ min Pink Floyd songs or 6 - 3 min Lady Gaga songs? :rofl:

15. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Could be six Beethoven symphonies. . . .

16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

More like 6 Van Halen w/Sammy Hagar songs! :git:

17. TheStyx

TheStyx Active Member

I'd say I spend approximately 20-25 minutes on my average shave which is the main reason I always shave in the evenings during the week. There's simply no time in the mornings. But these 25 minutes include me smelling a variety of creams and soaps before making up my mind, whipping up a good lather and working it in thoroughly. Then I make three passes. Then I go back to the sniffing again before I decide on the after shave. But I see it as my "me time", so I let it take as long as it takes.

18. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

I was originally thinking Handel - but thought that might be too long. Figured if it took that long, by the time he'd finish - it would be time to start pass 1 again.

19. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I used to take 20 to 30 mins per shave when I started. Now with face lathering and improved technique it takes me roughly 8 to 10 mins. I usually get at least a DFS in that time and often a BBS. I don't really care whether or not anyone believes me...it is so. When I'm in a hurry, I can do a two pass XTG and ATG and end up with a DFS in about five minutes. Unfortunately as I am not yet a retired man of leisure, I have to hurry my shaves upon occasion.

I take more time when I can but this is the average during the work week.

Troy M likes this.
  20. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I paid close attention to the clock this morning. It took 20 minutes from the time I walked into the bathroom until I was wiping down the sink and walking out. I took a shower and had a 3 pass shave. I face lathered. I would call my shave a DFS. I never felt rushed.

tuxxdk likes this.