How long does your wet shave take?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Razor Blade 79, Mar 15, 2014.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Since I originally wrote this I have been setting a timer. I am averaging 29 minutes per straight shave, with a low of 15 minutes and a high of 22.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  2. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

And apparently showed up late to your Math classes!;) Heheh

Demidog likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I did a video of a shave with a OCMM. Little over 7 minutes...throw in prep and clean up
    10-12

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Hey! It's called "new Math" ;)

Low of 15 minutes, high of 29, average of 22.

Keithmax, Demidog and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Hehe well done sir. i would've guessed a typo for 15/22/19.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  6. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

None of which were my favourite age I might add...

I haven't time it it, but lately I'm still about 10min for my standard 2-pass DE shave from shower off to clean-up complete.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  7. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I can't believe that it's already been a year since I switched up my shaving regimen but today I got an excellent shave in about 20 minutes including lathering up and completely cleaning the sink and exiting the bathroom. Shaving off 5 minutes felt great. I'm still hoping to get down to 15 minutes but if I can keep hitting 20 consistently, that will make my day a lot better. As much as I enjoy the routine, I've shot myself in the foot plenty of times by spending way too much time in front of the sink.

Terry Williams likes this.
  8. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

In general, I plan for the whole process. During the week I wake up, make coffee and setup tea for my S.O., glance at email, check my calendar, shower, shave, dress, kiss the S.O. and jump in the car. That takes me somewhere between 35 mins to an hour depending on whether I need to get done sooner. I like it when I don't have to hurry. So, I try to plan for the hour. I just get up earlier if I need to. I can relax and shave, then cleanup my station and marvel at the smoothness of a great shave. I think my shave generally takes about 15 mins. I really don't want to rush that part of the process. So, I just grab simple clothes instead of hurrying my shave.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Demidog and RetLEO-07 like this.
  9. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Word!

10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I'm about 30-40 mins. If I shave in the morning, i face wash only. If I shave in the evening it's after my shower. I rinse inbetween each pass and I do 4-5 passes. I do;
    Brush load 10-30 secs
    Face lather
    1st pass down
    2nd pass from ear to mouth (both sides)
    3rd pass from mouth to ear ( both sides )
    4th pass up
    5th pass diagonal from chin to ear. (Both sides)
    Post rinse and wipe
    Witch hazel splash
    Aftershave splash
    Aftershave lotion
    Faceturbate until I have to leave for work! ;)

Keithmax, Demidog and Terry Williams like this.
  11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I usually take a shower, then cut the water down. Lather - about 2 minutes. Shave - 1 minute or so. relather and 2nd pass, another minute or two. Flip water back on, wash face with Dove (right now), rinse off, dry off, after shave (30 seconds for that). Takes longer to put everything away.

12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have cut down some time because I don't do a full XTG pass any more. I only have a couple areas that need it. On my first pass, I do XTG under my sideburns, both ways, and under my goatee. Those are my trouble areas and don't need XTG any where else. Then I finish my first pass WTG on my whole face. My second pass is ATG, and usually a bit of touch up afterwards when needed. Without doing a full XTG pass, it has cut down on my irritation as I have sensitive skin, while also having a tough beard. The whole process usually takes about 15 minutes, give or take depending on if I bring a cup of coffee with me.

13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I just happened to time my shave a few weeks ago. Making lather and first pass: 6 minutes, subsequent passes 4 minutes each, 5 additional minutes to apply post shave goodies, strop, and police the area. This is with the straight. With a safety razor I could probably knock at least 5 minutes off.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Eleven minutes with a shavette.