How many shaves from an Astra sp?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Yossarian04, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

I'm using a new blade about every four shaves or so. I flip the razor while shaving and then disassemble the razor and flip the blade over after two shaves. I like the blade so be sharp. Is this about the average life expectancy? I'm sure it depends on beard coarseness/thickness as well.

RaZorBurn123 and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Flipping blades is pointless, and a myth that just won't die. When learning, I suggest two shaves and then out. Blade life is also highly dependent upon hair type and technique, and will increase as you progress. Someone else's blade longevity is probably irrelevant to your own.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    RaZorBurn123 and BigMark83 like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It kind of like asking "How many licks does it take, to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop"? It all depends on many factors. Two of the most important being 1. Technique. 2. Beard(density and coarseness).
    So, between 2-75. :happy005: I could get 35-40, with them, when I DE shaved, and really concentrated. But that wasn't much fun.

RaZorBurn123 and BigMark83 like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

We have no answer. You have to ask your face. It will tell you when the blade is tugging and pulling. Listen to your face. It is telling you it is time to change the blade.

Again, no one here has the answer. If they say they do, they really don't.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The other succinct answer.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Give it a try and report back.
    I have gotten 30 shaves out of a Personna Super. Before that I had gotten 19 out of a Shark. I can say this. It is boring using the same blade every day. Now, it is 7 and done for me unless it dies earlier.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

What ever blade I use it's 3 shaves and on to the next one. The Astra blades can be bought for ten dollars plus for 100, why stretch it.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

8. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I change blades every Saturday, and Astras are in my rotation. I CAN get about 15 shaves out of a razor, but with my stash of hundreds, 5-7 shaves is just fine.

9. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Astra, as of now that's seven. I tried 3-4 at first and got good results. About the 5th shave I noticed a lack of sharpness. Maybe a touch of pulling or just not cutting ultra smooth like new. That's ok though a good soap and good technique and I can now go seven days without issue. This works great because a 100 blade carton lasts two years. I have blades for a decade.

They are so stinking cheap you can drop $40 and have a new blade every day of the year. So have fun, play around and don't sweat the small stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Astra never worked for me. That being said I shave from Sunday to Friday and the blade goes in the blade bank. Steel is cheap. As others have said flipping the blade doesn't do anything. If Astra works for you, you're ahead of the game. I've got five different Gillettes and each one has its favorite blade. Matter of fact I'm in the middle of a blade Focus right now for my 1911 OLD Type.
    IMG_0661.JPG

11. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I always go 3 and out. I'm sure I can get 5 or 6 great shaves from most of my blades, but I like to keep it fresh and fun !!!

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I typically get 4 to 5 good shaves out of an Astra and the I toss it. I like Astra blades, they give me a great shave and they're cheap. 100 pack goes for $10, so that's 10 cents each.

David W650 likes this.
  13. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

I use Astra SPs too but I think it really depends on your face and how dense your beard is. I say listen to your face if the blade feels bad then change it. For ME I typically get 3 good shaves out of them then it's on to a new one. They are .09c a piece so don't feel like you have to strectch them like cartridges. Also I don't flip my blades

14. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Three shaves for me, regardless of the brand.

15. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

I don't really have a favorite blade yet. I'm sticking with Astras for now while I work on technique. I plan to explore other blades later on. I like a sharp yet smooth blade.

Zykris and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

Voskhod

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

-1 :prrr: YMMV :p

Jorvaljr likes this.
  18. RetLEO-07

When the Cartel comes after you Andrew, I'll hide ya! :)

Jim99 and Linuxguile like this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I'm a fan and stockpiler of every other cartel blade out there. I think the cartel will forgive me, I have Vodka!

20. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

My thoughts exactly, Andrew!

Linuxguile likes this.