How Many Shaves Per Blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Monty Smith, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Monty Smith

Monty Smith Member

As mentioned in some of my other posts, I'm just starting out on the whole wet shaving experience. Lots of great advice here, as I'm sure you're all aware, and I think I'm getting a pretty good feel for things except for one question:

How often do you change blades in your DE razors?

I know this must be one of those things that works out differently for each individual, and I'm not asking you to tell me how often I should change blades. But I think knowing how often some of you change blades would give me some idea when to change mine.

FWIW, before I started using my DE last weekend I've always used twin-blade disposables, and I basically used a new one every week, shaving six or seven days each week. Don't know if that tells me (or you) anything or not....

Thanks in advance.

2. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

You should have no trouble getting a week's worth of shaves from a DE blade. If the edge starts to get a bit muddy towards the end of the week you can always refresh it with a bit of hand stropping.

3. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

There was some discussion of that, and a poll, in this thread.

I use DE razors so seldom now, that I no longer have a firm opinion, even though I answered in that thread.

4. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I find most (~80%) of DE blades last 4 shaves for me. Anywhere in the 3-6 range is pretty normal. A few brands are known to last longer, but also tend to be more expensive.

You can search and find several old thread on this topic if you want more information. I even recall a poll or two from the past.

5. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Yes...the blade question.
    I have found some blade brands are good for 4 to 5 shaves,
    While others hit the blade bank after 1 shave... I no longer buy those 1 shave blades.
    Most half decent blades preform well for me for 3 shaves...YMMV
    So, I decided a while back to limit the number of shaves to 3...regardless of the brand of blade...
    Preventing the risk of a bad shave.
    And by the way ...Welcome to TSD

6. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

Most blades last me 4-5 shaves, and I can stretch an extra day IF I am feeling frugal. The last day or two aren't nearly as comfortable as the first 3,obviously, but I have always tried to get my moneys worth out of everything.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I go for two shaves from every blade. I use a handful of razors and some blades match some razors better than others.

A nickle or dime a shave is fine economics for me I don't think about it much.

Blades are now so cheap and brands offered so numerous its not worth worrying about. One can look at the forums and find out from members where the best deals are.

One thing I have learned in the years I have been wetshaving is that I did a lot useless cost calculations in terms of consumables. Soaps, creams, blades last so long in use that you might be figuring how to use them up more than how long they will last. BST's on all the forums are full of surpluses no one thought they would have to sell off.

8. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

:sihns011
    What Hanzo said is so true,
    If your not using some 5 blade cartridge system your saving money

9. CSL

CSL Member

After a few months of DE shaving, I'm definitely beginning to see this.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels driven to try out every recommended product until I find the perfect combination of razor/blade/soap or cream/aftershave, etc.

Hey, I'm not saying it isn't a lot of fun, but you definitely end up with a surplus.

10. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

I usually go about 3 or 4 shaves with mine. I might be able to get a few more shaves out of them, but my face is worth a fresh blade.

11. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

avg 3-5 shaves depending on blades. Im kind of new at this so I have a load of blades Ive been trying. Its true about the saying YMMV.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Most blades = 3 shaves.

Feather = 4, maybe.

Voskhod = 6 easy, the 7th shave gets a little tuggy so I stop at 6.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I hand strop all my DE and SE blades.

Hand strop a new DE blade and put it in a razor on Monday morning. Shave, take it out, hand strop, into a different razor for Tuesday's shave. Repeat every day. After Friday's shave, toss the blade.

Saturday - straights

Sunday, hand strop a fresh SE blade and put it in a razor the first Sunday of the month. Shave, take it out, hand strop, into a different razor for next Sunday's shave. After the last Sunday of the month's shave, toss the blade.

By the way, I shave everyday, 3 passes each day.

I found I could easily get seven shaves out of every blade I've tried. This method does several things for me.
    First - I never have to try and remember how many shaves I have on a blade.
    B - I never get to a point where I get an uncomfortable shave.
    3 - It works for me.

14. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

I use Gillette 7 oclock yellow DE blades. Hand strop after each shave and then put in the razor I will be using next. I consistently get 12-14 shaves from each blade.

15. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:sihns011 Works for me.

16. Oblio13

Oblio13 New Member

Here are quotes from vintage Gillette ads posted on BruceOnShaving.com :

"20 to 40 satisfying shaves from each blade..."

"10 blades, 20 sharp edges, good for a year."

"Each blade will give you from twenty to forty smooth and delightful shaves."

"Each blade gives from ten to thirty perfect shaves..."

17. Patcheon

Patcheon Active Member

Right now using my 3rd blade since I started DE shaving. Got 4 shaves from a Feather and a Astra. But think the Feather can still go for at least one more shave, being a real newbie, was too eager to try the next blade:ashamed001.

18. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in the day wasn't the norm for just a single pass? Doing the math of my 5 day, 3 pass routine, then that would equate to 15 shaves. As I said, I could get 7 days, bringing the total to 21 shaves. So then, yeah, I can see 20 to 40 shaves from each blade.

19. Monty Smith

Monty Smith Member

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in here, I really appreciate the information. Sorry I didn't see that old thead. I did do a search; maybe I misspelled something....

Anyway, I got seven days of completely comfortable and completely smooth shaves off one edge of the blade. Switched to the other edge on day 8 (yesterday), and I suppose I will continue with about a week per edge unless something changes.

20. AnB_Daddy

AnB_Daddy Active Member

I did the same thing when I first started. Now I use both sides at the same time, stroke stroke flip, stroke stroke rinse, it keeps me from going nuts trying to remember which side I was using.

Pilotcld likes this.