How Often Do You Shave?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Legend In My Spare Time, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

If I could, I'd shave every day. Unfortunately, my face doesn't allow me to do that. No matter the amount of prep, care taken during the shave, or dunking my entire head into a vat aftershave balm, I will still get irritation and razor burn if I shave on consecutive days.

I've finally found my stride and realized that I can only shave every other day, sometimes every two days. Since I've made the switch, I rarely, if ever, get razor burn or ingrown hairs. My face stays silky smooth until the next day when the 5 o'clock shadow kicks in. Plus, my wife likes a little stubble sometimes. Luckily, my job doesn't require me to be clean shaven, but I still like to show up with some sort of kempt appearance.

Anyone else have sensitive skin and can only shave every so often? Are you one of the lucky ones that gets to indulge in our hobby everyday?

Even though I don't get to shave everyday, I still find myself sniffing soaps and fiddling around with my equipment at least once a day, lol. :D

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I guess I am fortunate in that I don't really ever suffer from irritation or ingrowns. Stiff thick whiskers maybe? I might rub myself a little raw or something, but nothing that isn't better a few hours later with the help of a little balm.

So yes, since I have gotten into quality shaving, I shave every day, sometimes twice. Pretty much anything more than eight hours since the last one, and I can go again.

How lucky am I?

RaZorBurn123, gadabout, RyX and 2 others like this.
  3. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Every evening...sometimes I'll skip a Friday or Saturday, but not often.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Every day.
    Only days I miss are the mornings leaving for vacation and coming back from vacation- I like to be on the road no later than 3am.
    Always shave every day of vacation

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

About 6 times a week. I'll take one of the weekend days off, generally.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I have sensitive skin (sort of). I shave daily, but I don't shave across or against the grain, just two, maybe three passes with the grain. If I shave against the grain, I don't have to shave the next day, and can't shave for the next two or three days after that due to ingrown hairs. YMMV.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Every day. I look forward to it.
    zcws.gif

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

This is a good point. I usually only shave one pass WTG and then clean-up on the neck and jaw-line. The neck clean-up is generally still WTG and the jaw-line clean-up is XTG. I will do two full passes every now and then but rarely three passes. My skin just doesn't care for that shaving.

9. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

I shave every day. I'm retired and can take my time. Really enjoy the process and post shave feel. I'm fortunate that I have no irritation issues. I do a two pass with minimal touch ups.

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Everyday, work requirement. Take Saturday and holidays off. Sunday is blade change and me-time shave. Even when I was using carts and goo, that was the schedule. Vakay is a no shave, unless there is some type of social engagement.

11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Every other day, for me its a matter of facial hair not growing fast enough to shave daily.

12. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Every day except while on a hunt.

13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The only good reason.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    7 days in a week...7 shaves. :shaver

15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Every other day usually. I alternate days for my face and head. I can shave daily, but I can get away with every other day and I enjoy it more that way.

16. brit

brit in a box

i shave every second or third evening.i actually tried every day last week; well 3 days in a row.didn t get as close a shave due to irritation,couldn t push it .happy with 2-3 days,close almost bbs. lots of growth,no irritation,keeps the razor busy.kind of like cutting the grass after a week or two.looks better after the effort.

17. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I shave every day. No problems or irritation unless maybe when I try some new razor I'm not familiar with. I think my skin has actually gotten softer and more moisturized since I started wet shaving.

HERM

18. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Usually every other day unless I'm extremely pressed for time then I might have to skip a couple days.
    Fortunately my beard grows slowly so I can get away with it, plus my full time job doesn't require it.
    I'm sure my skin would tolerate it since I don't seem to be prone to irritation so I'm sure if my work schedule ever cuts back I'll start shaving every day.

19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I shave about six times a week. I'll take a day off every now and then. It's usually two passes (WTG/ATG) and touch-ups. I replace the blade after three uses.

If you suffer from irritation, you might consider trying unrefined shea butter as part of your aftershave routine. It helps me greatly.

RaZorBurn123, RyX and PickledNorthern like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

With good technique, you can shave every day. It sounds like you want to. Forget prep, it's more harm than cure, and is undoubtedly making it worse. Focus on low attack angles.

When I was new, I swore that 48 hours was the minimum comfortable interval with a DE Safety razor. I thought I had sensitive skin, and thought I needed a lot of prep and PSO.

Today, I shave every 20-28 hours with a DE based shavette, the most temperamental and difficult razor style, bar none. My face is the same one I had when I was too sensitive for daily shaving.

I am probably not unique in this experience. The answers are entirely technique based.

Trust.