How often is too often? BBS obsessed.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Shotwell, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

OK, I have just started shaving my head, and I confess that it's like an addiction. I have sometimes shaved in the morning and again in the evening just to keep that smooth feel. So my question is: How often is too often? Is shaving twice a day too much? I read somewhere that the idea that shaving more often makes it grow in faster/thicker is a myth. But is it? Any drawbacks to shaving my head too much? (Yes, I know, I'll go blind. Oh wait... that's something else.)

2. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

BBs shaves come around when you least expect it, for me any way as far as being obsessed can also cause irritation so sometimes DFS-CCS feel just as close and less irritation.

3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

As long as you enjoy it, and you are not suffering irritation and have the time; go for it. It will not change how fast or how much your hair grows. I wish it was true. I'd shave my small bald spot several times a day if it would thicken up the hair growth there. ;) As for the other thing, just do it until you need glasses. :cool:

4. Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster New Member

I believe it depends on you. I find if I shave more then once per day, I tend to get more ingrown hairs then usual so it isn't an option for me.

5. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

You know, now that I have converted from using the Head Blade ATX to using my new Micro Touch One, I have discovered that I now get a closer shave than I *ever* got with a disposable blade like the ones the ATX uses.

Yesterday, for example, shaved with 2 (or 2.5) passes of the Micro Touch One and a Dorco blade that comes with it, and found that it was close enough to a real BBS shave that I didn't feel compelled to do it again in the evening. I think the rougher (less close? Is there a word for less close?) shave of the Head Blade was what led me to want to shave twice a day.

I do think I will keep my Head Blade and continue to use it occasionally or if I'm in a hurry in the shower, or as a touch-up blade if needed... Because although it's not as close a shave as a DE, it is remarkably easy to do a quick shave of my head with the Head Blade, even without a mirror or (gasp) without giving it my full attention. With the DE, I obviously have to pay close attention to the angle, the pressure/weight, keeping a firm enough hold on the handle, etc. My attention lapsed this morning for a moment, and as a result I had to add "styptic pencil" to today's version of the ritual SotD.

Maybe that's something else I like about the DE experience: it's something akin to the Zen practice of Mindfulness or "Sati." (Which can also mean "being in the present moment," "memory," and "attention."). Hmm, now there is a forum topic idea... =)

Aside: can't wait for my sampler shipment of blades to arrive, so I can try something other than the Dorcos. I am betting other blades will be better, plus I hate using something called a "Dorco." It is reminiscent to me of a name you might find for a garage-door company, and makes me think I must be a "dork" for being this enamored with shaving my head and trimming around my beard.

6. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

It's all about your skin. for me the longer I wait the better my skin feels, but I can handle 2 shaves in a day. If I ever get irritation I let it grow for a few days.

7. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Wow! your lucky my skin only allows me to shave ever 4 days.

8. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Or at the very least hairy palms. But then I suppose one could always shave those as well.
    Win-Win! :p

[​IMG]