How products have changed over the years.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by 90quattrcoupe, Dec 21, 2016.

1. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

As you can see from this comparison, sugar obviously weighs more than vitamins. They removed the sugar, added two vitamins and its 5 ounces lighter. image.jpeg

AGHisBBS and Carbide Mike like this.
  2. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

Don't forget whipped peanut butter or "shakes" from many fast food restaurants where they don't even use ice cream anymore and they are just filled with air and sugar. They aren't MILK shakes. Does anyone remember when Wendy's used to have little flakes of chocolate in their Frosty's?

Or what about those fund raiser items the kids sell today. It seems like you get fewer of the items in the box like cookies, chocolates, etc.

The one thing that keeps getting bigger are my utility bills!

On a serious note, there seems to be more variety and higher quality, speciality gourmet products available in the grocery stores. There also seems to be more international cuisines. Frozen foods are more then just old school TV dinners of salisbury steak, banquet chicken, and fish sticks. Fresh pastas are available with multi grain alternatives, and produce now has more exotic type fruits. Some stuff I have no clue what it is or how to eat! If you shown a star fruit to me when I was a kid, I would have thought it to be from another planet! The most exotic thing used to be a pineapple.
    Steve

3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Or there is no sugar in it at all, and it is high fructose corn syrup.

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Okay, you all definitely used to eat different stuff than we did as kids

Milk tastes different than it used to do. Not sure if that is due to the packing (cartons versus glass bottles) or due to stricter regulations on e.g. pasteurisation.

And where did my Caraco ice cream go!?

5. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

It is the Ultra Pasteurization. They take the milk to a high temp before chilling it.

Greg W.

6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Yes and no. Milk from different areas tastes differently, because of what they feed upon. My wife hates the milk in Ottawa, but is fine with the milk in Houston. Different flavour. UHT, as a matter of fact, changes the flavour of milk _less_ than standard pasteurisation.

This has some information - http://www.fermented-foods.com/content/raw-milk-vs-pasteurized-vs-uht-milk-debate - but take it with a grain of salt. Despite what he says, the proteins in milk are NOT affected by UHT the same way that they are in HTST. The shorter the time, the less effect, and once you reach a certain temperature, the effect upon the proteins won't be any different. 'Vat' pasteurisation, as he calls it, can have a more dramatic effect on flavour, despite only reaching 145 degrees F; it's just that it lasts for half an hour or more.

My mother grew up on a farm, and says that the pasteurised milk tastes wildly different from the raw milk.