How to cut holes in my blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sindala, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Sindala

Sindala New Member

Some time ago I was able to buy a set of 1970's Gilette blades. Recently I bought myself a Goodfella razor. I love the 1970 blades. They are awsome. But a minor problem occurs. These blades have a groove as an opening and no holes on the left en right side. The Goodfella razor needs a blade with those holes. Most razor blades provide those holes. My question, is there equipment available to cut those holes in het blade manually so the can fit the Goodfella razor?

See attachment of image of the blades, so you can see what I mean.

Attached Files:

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Maybe tin snips or a Dremel type tool?

3. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Wow, kinda surprised to see blades without the pin holes in them manufactured that late, but sure enough Mr Razor's website showed several instances of the blade in that era.

Sorry, can't think of a tool that would make a clean punch out like that, but maybe one of our other members can suggest something.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Well that certainly is an issue. How do you safely modify a blade without altering its shaving properties? I have a pair of old razors that won't work with modern blades. Like you, I would have to modify the center slot. A dremel can work but is time consuming and needs to be done within tolerances in order for the blade to stay secure. I hope someone has a solution that works for you. I certainly would like to know as well.

5. jgkeegan

jgkeegan Member

I don't think I ever came across a DE blade without an opening where you need it to be. I probably wasn't observant. Where did you come by those blades?

6. Hercule

Hercule Active Member

Please rethink this. At best you'll get lucky and manage to make the correct hole in nearly the right place. At worst (and the most likely scenario in my opinion) you'll either cut youself badly in the process of making the hole, or you won't get the hole in just the right place and the blade exposure will be wrong in the razor, in which case you'll cut your face to ribbons. Is it REALLY worth it?

Has anyone EVER successfully done this? Do think this one through again.

H

7. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

nice Idea It would be worth a try just to say that you alteast tried it. but I would recommed that before you try it. wear face protection gear at the very least. blades seem to very hard britle metal. when ever you are working with hard brittle metal it can explode just like glass. I would probably use one of the ceramic tip grinding tools (the pointy one) just to grind away the metal.

8. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Can't answer your main question, but I'm just curious, what razor had you been using the old blades with?

If it were me, I'd probably just use those blades with a vintage Gillette that would take them unmodified, and use something else with the Goodfella. The urge to tinker is understandable, though. Good luck and be safe.;)

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

:sihns011

10. Strong!!! never seen such a knife '... I hope someone can 'help!

11. Sindala

Sindala New Member

Gillette blades

Hi, thanx all for the suggestions. I understand that there is not something like al standard tool for this one. I came across a DE blade sharpener tool a while ago. Something like a box you could put a blade in. By moving some parts you could sharpen the blade so you can get some more shaves with it. I hoped there would be a hole cutting tool which I could use safely.

I'll stick to the razors that work with these blades. I've worked with these blades in a Gillette black tip, a Gillette Lady and a three piece Gillette travel razor. All of them don't need the extra holes. Only my Goodfella needs them.

I obtained the blades from a lot on the internet. A collector selling his stuff. The blades are awsome. Sharp, smooth and almost industructable. I'm now shaving with a blade in the Gillette Lady razor and used it already for more than 20 times !!! I never got more than 3-4 shaves with Personna Red or Feathers.

Thanx for all the input.
    Morris.

12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Think a hole punch would work?

13. Dewaine

Dewaine Well-Known Member

I think Chuck Norris could stare down the steel so it conforms to the needed shape.:happy102

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

There is a chance that it may. However, I think there is a bigger chance that the blade will shatter or will warp enough to be unusable.

15. Lucky11453

Lucky11453 New Member

That is the first time I've seen that one.

16. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

Good idea. I have an idea they are not very common. If they work really well for you it would be a shame to ruin one during a rework. Enjoy.

Len

17. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

My only thought would be to clamp a mass of them together, probably 20 or so and use a drill press... Other than that, no idea.

18. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Hmmm, I use a Goodfella razor also--I didn't know it was necessary to make extra holes in the blades. :eek:

19. Sindala

Sindala New Member

No no, it's not a missing feature in the Goodfella at all. All blades fit the Goodfella razor. The Gillette blades are oldies from the late 60's / begin 70's and I suppose that's why they differ in shape a bit.

Sindala.

20. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

As far as I can imagine, the only route to go is to leave it be and not use the blade in that goodfella. But if it were me I know I would try to make those holes. beacause I'm stupid and stubborn like that.
    The only semi-safe way is a sturdy drill press. Set at a high rotation speed, and drilling very SLOWLY and firmly. Make sure to use a bit designed to drill through metal. To prevent any adverse bending shattering malformations I see two ways. Drill each blade individually on top of a piece of hardwood (or metal) and you would have to really make sure that blade was clamped really really well. Or better yet sandwich the blade between 2 pieces on wood and use that as a template to drill the holes. This will make each hole accurate and consistent as long as the template you make is accurate. I'm sure you could use another DE to make that wood template.
    The second way would be drill them all at the same time stacked together. The main advantage to that the blades stacked and clamped properly will act as a solid piece of metal. Which makes cleaner holes. And it will be hella faster. But how to safely and securely clamp that, well I have no real good ideas how to do that, that would not compromise the cutting edge.
    I suggest you leave them be and use another razor. But like I said before if you're stubborn and foolheaded like me, I'd try to sandwich the blades in a little wood sandwich at a drill press.

Good luck
    C. S. Budzi