How to make your own shave stick

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Mama Bear, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

This will work with glycerin shaving soaps only, please do not try and do this with a milled soap as you will ruin it.....

First remove your soap from the tub. This can be done in a variety of ways, but I am hoping that you can run a knife around the soap to loosen it and then pop it out... If it doesn't pop out easily, try freezing it for 15 minutes and then pop it out... if it still won't come out, you will have to melt it. If your soap is in puck form, you will not have to do this....

Melting your Shaving Soap

Microwave your shaving soap in your microwave at 10 second bursts only, it might be quicker if you cut your soap into pieces first. Shaving soap melts at 160 degrees and the stick containers are only rated for 160 degrees, so you need to do this carefully so you do not warp your stick container. Melt your soap in (if possible) and pour from a glass container with a pour spout to minimize spillage, do not pour directly from the tubs.... don't ask me how I found this out.... :ashamed001

Pour your melted soap into the open stick or deodorant container. You will probably have too much soap and the left over can be poured back into your tub or other container to use in a traditional manner. Let the containers cool for at least 30 minutes and this time can be speeded up by placing the containers in the fridge or freezer.

Overheating your soap can result in loss of fragrance so be very careful to not get too hot.

The shaving soap is harder than most things you would normally use in these containers and can be hard to twist up.. be gentle as to not break you twist mechanism.....

Attached Files:

2. Baron

Baron New Member

sweet! :)

Thanks Mama Bear! I'd been curious about the melting temp...

3. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

This is why we love you Mama Bear.

4. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    This would sure make traveling easier.

5. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Thought I'd bump this since it is quite simple but anyone could do it. Especially with left over deodorant tubes?

6. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

This is great, thanks!

I wonder if there's any way to prep the container to account for the increased force needed to move the soap?

7. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Thanks for bumping this. I've got 4 of these in my den. Empty deo tubes, cleaned out of course, work just fine!

It does take a bit more force, but I haven't found I've needed anything extra to get the mechanism to work. (One tube was a little harder, but it's the only time I've used that kind of tube--ironically, "Old Spice" deo--so I can't really say it wasn't just an idiosyncracy.)

Anyone got any good ideas on minimizing friction?

8. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I tried to do this with an empty deoderant stick but the thing at the bottom that presses it up was full of holes, so the soap would just pour right through. I found a cheap source for the sticks once, but can't find it anymore.

9. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

uh, yes, I should've stated it that way... :o

10. LS48

LS48 New Member

John,
    A couple of things I've read you can do if it is taking a lot of force to get the soap out (of course you won't really know whether this is going to happen until it does) is: 1) Before soap is added, put a very thin coating of mineral oil on the inside of the contaner and 2) After the soap is already in the container , put in freezer for 15 min. , remove and run hot water over outside to free it. I've put both melted soap and shredded soap, though, in stick-type containers, and haven't had any problems yet.

Regards, Larry

11. JohnInPeoria

JohnInPeoria Member

Excellent! Thanks!

12. LS48

LS48 New Member

You're very welcome, John.

13. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

:happy102 I dont know if I would have admitted to that Rodd!

14. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

The the ultimate in compactness. Could it be done with Chapstick tubes?

15. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

For travel, chap stick type tubes would be great! Does anybody know where to purchase clean empty ones? I have also been making a lib balm and would like to find some of those little fellers! They would be great with shave soap though - you could easily travel with an assortment of soaps that way.

Also - Mama Bear mentioned using glycerin soaps only. I have always understood glycerin soaps to be like the one in the photos above - a clear amber. But, I finally picked up one of those Col Conk soap rounds, almond, that is white/ivory in color and looks like it has all sorts of other stuff in it; even though it says glycerin. Help??

>:-Q

16. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

17. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very interesting. It maybe even better then using the lipbalm tubes is the little tubs.. If they are big enough you could load a travel brush from them... or carry several creams..

Fuzzy

19. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

It would make the scent less powerful, but it will also make your whole house smell that way as it cooks off. It may also change some of the properties of the soap/lather.

20. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Yep - Solved!!

Exactly what I needed - thnx : )