How to use the strop

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by tuxxdk, May 3, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hello

No, I don't mean how to lead the razor in what direction and how.

But for the love of my life I can't figure out which sides of the strop to use.

It's supposed to be a genuine leather strop with a leather side and a canvas side. So far so good. But I have two strops knitted together and I can't really see what's what.

01. Really stiff, looks and feels like leather on both sides. See "02".
    [​IMG]

02. Feels and looks like the opposite side of some leather piece. Velvety in surface.
    [​IMG]

03. Very soft and pliable. Looks, feels and smells like leather.
    [​IMG]

04. Looks and feels like fabric.
    [​IMG]

Any ideas on what to use for what on this cheap "MenRock Strop"?

2. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Hi Martin. You use the smooth side of the leather generally but I've heard some people might put CrOx paste on the rough side and use that to refresh their edges. I think most people use a fabric strop for that though. You could probably use the inside of the fabric piece for that if you wanted. You normally hold both pieces together in your hand when you're using it so you're going to be using the outside surfaces.

If you get on YouTube, you'll find some good videos on stropping. Look for one by Lynn Abrams or gssixgun. Some videos you'll find may be less good but those two won't steer you wrong.

Edit: figured I might as well find one and link it.

3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hi Brian

Thanks for the vid and explanation.

I seem to be hard headed, because if I hold the pieces together, which also seems the most logical to do, then I have two leather sides apparently :signs002: