How "vintage" are you?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Darkbulb, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

No, I don't mean your age - I mean your preferences when it comes to items you use/wear.

Personally, I do surround myself with the latest in mobile devices, computers etc (I'm not a complete luddite) - but there are areas where I truly appreciate items that were made some time ago..and made to last.
    There is a certain 'something' about an item of high quality that have made it through the decades and still work as well - or even better - than what you can find on the shelves today.

Me, I love;
    - vintage cameras (I own probably 30-40 old film cameras and try to use at least one/month),
    - vintage sportcoats/blazers. There is something about the cut and style - and often price - that I love,
    - Shaving gear of course,
    - Wrist watches - my favorite watch is my Bulova from 1950.
    [​IMG]

I also find that even with more current offerings I gravitate towards products with some pedigree - like an whisky with long traditions or a cheese made through an old, manual process.

Maybe it's just a sign of aging - but I prefer to see it as an appreciation for timeless quality....

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Razors, blades, a/s, two fedoras, a few ties (tasteful ones) and a few Parker 21's are what vintage I have now.

Boojum1 and Darkbulb like this.
  3. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

I'm a saxophonist & still swear by a lot of vintage horns for their depth of tone. I have a 1935 tenor & a 1926 alto that I'll probably never sell.

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Not very. Maybe Retro at the most since my Tech is form the 60s and my BB is from 83. I imagine it is hard to find vintage threads when you are over 6 feet tall. Otherwise id have a TON of vintage Star Wars shirts.

Shaver X, Boojum1 and Darkbulb like this.
  5. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Personally, I find myself surrounded by computers and the latest mobile devices. And it hate it. I am a complete Luddite.

I do like modern digital cameras. It's nice not having to run to the Photo-Mat twice a week.

Sports coats/blazers.... No.
    Brown duck Carhartt Jackets, Yes. (Blue or Black Carhartt for Sundays/funerals)

Shaving gear, Yes.

Wrist watches, No.
    Pocket watches, Yes.I like pocket watches and Patek Phillipe watches in particular.
    I have one for each day of the week. (Including Tuesdays..)
    The 983 is very nice.

983J_001.png

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Boojum1, gorgo2 and Darkbulb like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

in what pocket do you carry a pocket watch?
    if I could wear overalls, I'd carry as pocket watch.

Bristle Me and Darkbulb like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I collect sporting memorabilia, we like to collect vintage mirrors and framed pictures. I have an old pocket watch, it doesn't work, but it's cool. Stamps and coins.

8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

You can wear overalls, I assure you. You are an intelligent, learned man. It's ok to wear overalls.
    I wear overalls every day. Mainly because where I am employed the wearing of overalls is highly looked down upon.
    The director of engineering told me once that I looked like a pig farmer.
    The director of transmission and distribution told him that if wearing bibbed overalls would
    make the rest of his engineers as productive as me, he should make everyone wear them.
    :duel:

If you like bibbed overalls, you know where the pocket watch storage area is.
    (right next to the silver flask storage area.....:))

9. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

My only vintage items are the Gillette razors. However, I do not own a smart phone...never have...never will...got an "old timey cell phone"...calls only...texting disabled.

Ed

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Besides shaving with old razors, I live in an old house with old fixtures, old furniture and an old la .... um I meant to say, with my loving wife ;)

gorgo2 and Darkbulb like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

There's another reason that's nice, too. :happy102:

Have you tried the Duluth Trading firehose overalls? They look really nice. I almost ordered a pair last year and trashed my Big Yank's before I moved here, so now I have none.

Darkbulb likes this.
  12. david of central florida

my hand tools, some pocket knives, and now some of my razors. and maybe my attitude are about the only vintage things I have.
    clothes, not really
    my watch is ecodrive.I have a pocket watch, but don't carry it. ( unless I wear bibs)

Darkbulb likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Fountain pens.
    My wife and I enjoy antiquing. As a result, we have quite a few vintage items adorning our humble abode.

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Aside from my high volume sporting clay guns, I mostly shoot vintage guns from 1920's - 1960's. It is nice going for grouse with my grandfather's LC Smith or pheasants with my father's Beretta Silver Snipe.

I also love my father's Imperial Kamado that was received as a wedding gift in 1961.

15. david of central florida

wow, I'm impressed.
    didn't know we were talking about shotgunning. 2 3/4 all the way. love my 1100,its definitely vintage.
    wife gave me a Browning double auto, or twelvette many years ago for Christmas, it's vintage also.
    bout that time of year to get the decoys out.

PanChango and Darkbulb like this.
  16. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I have state of the art TVs 3D, sound systems 5.1 and 7.1, and other electronics. I also drive a vintage 14 year old car, but I got it new. I have a vintage couch I'm sitting on in my man cave, 1985 in leather. I carry a vintage Colt 45 That I also got new, 1985. All of my razors but my first DE are vintage, but I did not get them new,LOL. In the end I tend to spend more on quality that I like and keep it as long as possible. Oh here is my watch.
    image.jpg

BigMark, Shaver X and Darkbulb like this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

very nice. my first gun skeet gun was given to me by a friend that was on the marine corp skeet team. It had well over a hundred thousand shells through it when I got it. I used it for near a decade until the receiver cracked. I really enjoyed that one.

As for decoys, I have given up waterfowling. Last time I went for goose, I had to break the ice, then jump in to slide the sheet over to clear a spot for the decoys. We had near 50 mph winds and the birds were cruising by about 70 mph. Couldnt call any in and didn't touch my gun all day. That was the end of my goose hunting days. Dove in September have much better weather...

18. david of central florida

I've just got to see one(goose) bounce, before I get to old.
    doves and ducks for me, gets cold, but never freezes over here in Florida. ring necks mallards, canvas backs, wood ducks, teal, mostly what gets here.
    no geese nor pheasant

Darkbulb likes this.
  19. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I have my Dad's old baseball uniform, glove and spikes from the 1940s
    I have:
    A Gillette Old Type from the 1920s
    A Gillette New Long Comb from the 1930s
    A Gillette Aristocrat from 1946-47 (like Dad's)

Photography:
    I have a Super Takumar 50/1.4 lens from the 1960s that is still my best lens.
    I have the 1970s tank-like Nikkormat FTN that got me through my college newspaper photographer days.

ObiDon and Darkbulb like this.
  20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Aside from vintage shaving gear—plenty of old straights from the mid to late 1800s—I used to own a number of vintage acoustic guitars (martins mainly, a few Gibsons). Loved the well-broken-in aged tone of a vintage guitar!
    All went bye-bye to fund college for my sons….:( Replaced them all with more modern guitars.