How were you introduced to wet shaving?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by castrobabble, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Buckles

Buckles New Member

Really nice set. I can remember watching my dad as a little boy shaving. This also inspired me to give it try. Alway wanted to be like my dad.

champagneinhand likes this.
  2. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I was at work one evening, alongside a female colleague. I can't remember how we got onto the subject of shaving but she told me her husband shaved with a safety razor. "What's a safety razor?" I asked. She explained a bit about it and referred me to some websites. I did some searching and was blown away by the beauty of the safety razor. I ordered a Merkur, a blade sample pack and some TOBS. I was hooked in no time. That was a year and a half ago.
    I haven't saved a nickel since converting; in fact I spent much more on soaps and accessories but it's worth it.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

There should be an award for this.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Razor_187

Razor_187 Active Member

Well I joined the military straight out of high school. So I had to shave every day and the cartage razors were getting expensive, specially for a young buck like me at the time. So eventually I sought out a cheaper way to shave and stumble upon safety razors. From there the hobby blossomed and the rest is history. Although it is unfortunate that modern razors really don't require any skill because well there is no need for a father to teach his son how to shave. I'm going to bring back traditional shaving in my family and teach my sons how to shave with a safety razor and a straight razor. I think it will make for a good bonding experience...

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. About two years ago I ran across an ad for wet shaving. After reading forums and researching razors I was hooked. Haven't regretted since. Even my Wife enjoys helping me look for razors. She will offen run ahead of me at the flea market hoping to spot something before me. My kids also join in and my son just began his shaving life. So in a way this is a family hobby.

6. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I've known about single blade, dual edge razors and straight razors in a vague sense for a long time. After talking with a co-worker a few weeks ago, we both thought it might be cool. I saw a VDH razor at the grocery store and picked it up, stopped at walgreens and got the VDH shave mug/brush/soap. After a horrible shave, I did my research, found this forum and the rest, as they say, is history. Never go back to cartridge/canned foam. I enjoy shaving now.

7. J Westley

J Westley Member

Watched my Papaw shave with straight razor when I was really young and as he got older he switched to a safety razor. After he passed away I wanted his razors as a keep sake. Never got those razors and have always wanted a straight razor because he had one. Im 46 now and finally taking the time to go forward and get my own straight razor and throw away these Mach 3 things!

PLANofMAN and J.R. like this.
  8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I was laid up a year due to multi knee replacement complications and was on the Net allot reading and just ran upon an article on the resurgence of wet shaving. The next thing I knew I was shaving with a 34C, then a DE89, a Super Speed, and now I'm a full time vintage guy. Sometimes good things emerge as a result of a temp set back.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. GMPTA

GMPTA Active Member

I knew my brother was using soap and a brush, And i THOUGHT he was using cartridges, and i knew he got them for fairly cheap... so when I saw him around Christmas I asked him about where he got his cartridges... turns out he wasn't using cartridges and he was using DE blades... he gifted me a 40's gillette SS and recommended some blades, and soaps. Been at it ever since.

10. Swiffer

Swiffer Active Member

New member here. Got into we're having years ago as something new to try. Didn't have much luck so put all the new items away until recently. Now trying it again and it seems to be going better.

11. PaPa K

PaPa K Active Member

I remember my dad and maternal grandfather wet shaving. Dad changed over to canned goo at some point and then electrics. While I was in the Navy I tried different types and used a brush and Williams for several years ( but multi blades not a de). Been using a foil electric the last 4-5 years but was growing increasingly dissatisfied with the quality of my shave and expense of replacing parts on the electrics. First shave with the de went very well. Good to be back, and looking forward to the adventure.

Robyflexx likes this.
  12. AZWhiskers

AZWhiskers Active Member

I got tired of using carts, disposables etc...and decided to get a safety razor just to save money. But once I started looking into them I saw all of the other cool stuff, especially straight razors and decided I had to give it a try. I started with a Merkur 43 and loved it. Got a Dovo 5/8 and am still learning. Using a straight razor is like a puzzle. It takes technique and a little courage. It has turned a chore into a hobby.

champagneinhand and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  13. som

som Well-Known Member

I blame commercials I started hearing about the Dollar Shave Club. I joined, which was the first step in actually *thinking* about shaving, vs. just shaving. Once the thinking started, it was inevitable that I would end up wet shaving.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  14. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

My dad died from cancer when I was 10 so a few years later when I started needing to shave my Grandfather started me on an Improved German Eagle 6/8 straight and Williams with a Peerless gen 1 synthetic brush. I Shaved like that until I was 19 and had my first child. I stored the razor and grew a beard so I would have more time with the new baby. During a short stint in the Army I shaved with Gillette Fusion since I could get them easily and then grew a beard for a few more years after that. I started wetshaving again when I started a job last year that required a clean shave every day. I knew I didn't want to deal with Carts or disposables again but my straight was damaged from neglect so, I eBayed a few Gillettes and the addiction started anew. Now I have 6 DE, 1 SE, a Rolls, an injector, a repeater, 3 full straights, 6 straight blades for restoration, a shavette, and two Artist club razors. I also have 7 brushes including that same old Peerless.

15. navy mac

navy mac Well-Known Member

I was tired of getting ingrown hair's and replacing cartridges every other day. When I looked up an alternative, I noticed wet shaving

16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Virtually everyone wet shaves in the UK...

champagneinhand likes this.
  17. J Westley

J Westley Member

Proud to say that I have now introduced my son Tyler into the art of Wet Shaving. At first he asked about the brush and soap that I have now. So I showed him how to lather up using a brush and showed him several videos. Well tonight he asked if he could try one of my DE razors. So I have him one of the 1930 Gillettes I have.
    Seems like him and I will be jumping into this new hobby together.
    Don't think he will be able to take a DE to bootcamp next year but until then he can use the DE.

18. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

Oh do they not allow one to have them in boot camp?

19. J Westley

J Westley Member

They only allow cartridge razors. It's because some have tried suicide with razors in the past with a DE blade. It's a safety issue with them.

20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I was tired of using cartridge razors and having bad shaves. I searched eBay for razors and a hold new world opened up! This was almost 4 years ago when the prices were really reasonable.
    I don't think at the time I was planning on becoming a shaver/collector. Like everyone else my first razor quickly became my second third and fourth.

RyX and Robyflexx like this.